Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 STS
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought my 99 STS a month and a half ago, and today i checked the oil level on the car because today it stalled twice in traffic, and i checked it for the hell of it, the car's never dont that since i bought it. The level was at the halfway mark on the dipstick while still hot. My question is should i add oil to it, or should i wait until its time for an oil change? The oil monitor says the life is at 65%, will this oil level be ok until its time for a change? I also checked for codes the second time it stalled, and there were two, AMPu1064 and PCM1599, both history. Any help is appreciated.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
That oil level is fine. Don't add until it gets to the bottom of the hash marks, never overfill past the top of the hash marks, and always check it hot as that was how the dipstick was calibrated for. The car has a low oil level warning switch that will tell you when it is two quarts low so don't worry about lot oil. The Northstar engine is filled with 7 quarts in the sump so it can easily handle slightly low oil levels in daily driving.

Regarding the stalling....time to clean the throttle body sounds like. Take the air duct off, hold the throttle blade wide open, spray the bore and backside of the throttle blade with carb cleaner, scrub with an old toothbrush to remove the deposits and spray/wipe clean. As the deposits build up on the back of the blade and around the perimeter of the bore behind the blade they choke off the air flow around the perimeter of the blade causing problems with the idle air control gain rates. Clean up the throttle body and it should be fine and likely the throttle will fell smoother and move easier off idle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts