Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2000 sts 91k on the clock. The car seems to be leaking oil but i can't find the leak. not enough where i'll have to put some in before the changing the oil judging from the paperwork and talkn to the previous owner. There's no oil on the ground after the car is parkd but you can smell it after a short period of time, not enough to see and not a strong smell. looking up under the car its hard to tell but a plate that seems to cover the exhaust has a little oil on it. any idea where this could be coming from or has anyone had any experience?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
Oil pressure switch, cooler lines & filter adapter are common leak points.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have o check it again took the car to my mechanic and we looked under the entire car and it was damn near spotless. Where ever the leak is coming from its dropping on the exhaust not enough to smoke but u can smell it at redlights or when the fans come on.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
valve cover gaskets can leak on the 4.6 as well. And well, lets not even get into the infamous case-half seal leak. The good news is, usually neither of those is bad enough to warrant anything other than an occasional oil level inspection and a top off here and there,.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really puzzled now. The smell is not bad were it cant be dealt with but its a caddy. I noticed today after letting the car run in the driveway for about 30 minutes when i came out there was no smell. its seems to only happen after moving the car. is there something i'm missing or somewhere else i need to be looking. everything that i could see with my eyes looked normal well exceptional for a 7yr old car. ranger mentiond the oil cooler lines where would i find them?

·
Super Moderator
86,997 Posts
They run from the oil filter adapter to the radiator side tank.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You could get a flashlight and a mechanical spray can and begin spraying Gunk or some other cleaner around parts of the engine. Do this when ENGINE IS COLD. DO NOT SPRAY WATER NEAR PLUG WIRES. Use a cleaner that does not require any water to remove it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will check again in the morning. I hope this is something simple because it is.n't effecting performance, just annoying. i o hope it isn't the rear seal, does this 2000 model year have any problems like that?

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Halfcase seal leaking onto the exhaust crossover. Drove me crazy until it got worse and I could see the wetness under there. Could also be rear main seal dripping onto the same place but most likely the halfcase. Of course you're doing pretty good. Mine started leaking at about 30k

That little plate is called the transaxile brace and that's where the oil leaks, right there onto the crossover. Wait a few months you'll see it. Take a light under there and really really look up as best you can. You'll see the back of the engine (side towards transmission) will be moist.

Although the rear main isn't as common as the halfcase it does happen. Whatever it is I have the same problem and I'm pretty sure it's the half case seal or the oil pan gasket. Neither of which are cheap to fix.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont think its the oil pan gasket, either way i'll deal with it for now. i was reading in the haynes repair manual that the cradle doesnt have t be dropped to change the oil pan in the 2000 or later. might try using a thicker oil

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,623 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a thicker oil. The NorthStar wasn't designed for it. Ranger is pretty much the expert on this whole oil seepage subject.

From my car - a 2000 elDorado same engine, i found oil on that same flat steel brace, and get the same symptoms you have: oil smell at idle stop after running the car; a little (at first) oil on the garage, but that disappeared after i tightened all accessable oil pan bolts (of course there are a few that I can't get to).

I recently had the crank sensors replaced - the oil filter adapter and sender had to come out - they might have been loose. The oil pan used to be a mess as well as the transmission pan, but the last time i went underneath, both were quite clean - not completely clean but mostly so.

I did see a little drop by the oil drain plug but the parts counter gave me a few gaskets for the drain plug. I asked them to clean off all visible traces of oil when they replaced the crank sensors and the front mount - and I'll check out the underside of the car this weekend.

NorthStars can be a PITA on small oil leaks but if it's not draining out of a failed pipe or line and you are down 1 qt or less aprx 1000 miles (as per the manuals - my car with 104000 miles has no noticable oil usage in between changes) and your garage is not getting messed up - I say don't bother - it can get VERY pricey. Ranger has some procedure to fix a leaky oil pan - you can search for it - I don't remember the keywords but oil pan gasket are probably good ones to look up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:confused:Thanks for the input. I think i'll just deal with it. I haven't seen in change in the oil level, the bottom of the car is clean, and there's no stains in the driveway. One thing that really puzzles me is that i can let the car run for ever (30min) parked and will not smell anything. The smell only occurs after movement well at least for a mile and it doesn't happen on all stops. Anyone any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
86,997 Posts
Oil may be blowing back onto the exhaust pipes when you are moving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all
These same sources mentioned earlier most typical for 94 STS?
Mine has been leaking for a while now, no burning on manifolds but nice stain on the driveway (or the kitty litter actually!) Been too busy to look into it till now & a little harder without lift access.
Sump is pretty much covered in oil.
But car is down right now while I wait for new radiator (cracked right side tank) to arrive so should make some effort here on the leak front.
It's kinda messy under there, so diffcult to determine source until I get it all cleaned up.
Car has 168K miles now - I'm suspecting main seal or sump gasket - by codewize description, can I discount the half-case since no burning?
Is removing the sump in situ feasible on that vintage?

Any tips or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
I keep getting a tiny few drops of oil in on my garage floor, so when I went to the Dealer for an oil change and a coolant flush, I asked them to check where it was coming from and they said it was leaking from the half case seals. He said it is a very small leak. The thing that kinda bother me is that my brother has a Toyota corolla with 180000 miles the he bought from new and it has never leaked oil on him. I have 68000 mile caddy and I am leaking already! I am not going to worry about it now. If it gets worse then I will deal with it. My car is purring like a kitten. Don't want to mess with that. Good luck with your leak!
David

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok its been about a week now and tryn to find this leak is driving me crazy. one thig i noticed is that i'm guessing this is the top of the tranny. the part that u can see if you look between the brake reservoir up under the rear head. its like where the tranny is mounted to the engine behind the hood part where the flywheel sits. there is a bolt there and its coverd in oil and a little is sitting on the part of the tranny where the gears are located. hard to explain and not enough space to take a pic. if there is oil there where could it be coming from? i want to say the rear seal but its no way the oil could get up there it would drain straight down and i'm not seeing that much oil loss on the dipstick. to be exact on the location its the big bolt right up under the coolant crossover. i've pulled pics of the northstar engine but i dont see anywhere oil would leak on that side but i'm no mechanic either any ideas anyone?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,133 Posts
Any chance the oil is actually transmission fluid seeping from the capped vent tube right next to the throttle cable bracket??? It's a wiggly metal cap that sticks through the plastic clip on the cable mount.......If so, your transmission may be a tad overfilled....check level correctly, though 'cause it's a dry sump operation.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any chance the oil is actually transmission fluid seeping from the capped vent tube right next to the throttle cable bracket??? It's a wiggly metal cap that sticks through the plastic clip on the cable mount.......If so, your transmission may be a tad overfilled....check level correctly, though 'cause it's a dry sump operation.

naw its oil there is a distinct smell between the two when burnt, thanx for the input though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts