Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently discovered a rather substantial leak dripping off the oil pan that leaves 3 individual little puddles. I can't determine if it's coming from the pan itself, or dripping from some location above it. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, please help me solve this problem.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
This sounds a little like the typical situation with a case half seepage....Usually the oil never hits the ground and the owner never knows about it until someone "thoughtfully" points out that they have a "leak". Case half leaks rarely progress to more than a seepage. Many oil leaks are blamed on the case half seepage. I would never have a perfectly good running engine yanked out for this repair personally. It is just not justified. You may end up with a perfectly satisfactory job...it is totally dependent on the tech doing the job. Diagnosis is the key here...Make sure you know where the oil is coming from before you let someone " Fix It " It could be a cam cover leak ( some of you call them valve covers ) If it's above the exhaust manifold that's more than likely what it is. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response! I left out one more thing that may help further zero in on the oil leak issue. There is definitely a burnt oil smell coming from the engine when I park the car. Does this imply the leak is dripping on an intake or exhust manifold? Does this help?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
ion said:
Thanks for your response! I left out one more thing that may help further zero in on the oil leak issue. There is definitely a burnt oil smell coming from the engine when I park the car. Does this imply the leak is dripping on an intake or exhust manifold? Does this help?

Thanks again!
It coud mean that....Or, It could be that during driving the oil is blowing back onto the exhaust system and burning there. The ONLY way to know for sure is to find the leak......Get a mechanics mirror ( A mirror on a little extention handle ) and a flashlight....Stick the mirror down around the engine and shine the light at the mirror so the light reflects and illuminates the area that you're trying to see and then start trying to locate the leak. It may take a little while or a few trys but you can do it. Once you locate the leak then we can figure out a course of action to get it fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
ion