Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil filter less than 30 miles on it - change when I change out the "gassy" oil or?

I change the oil in my '91 DeVille shortly after I got it and have only driven the car like 15 miles with the FI issues, but it was idled a lot during troubleshooting. If you look in another thread you will see I had some major fuel injector issues. The car was not ran much like that with the new oil but my mechanic said the new oil is "gassy" because my car was running extremely rich and it needs to be changed which I intend to do myself. My question is, should the oil filter be OK, or should I change it as well? I know they are not expensive and it is easy to get to it, but it seems to make a big mess the way it is angled in the engine bay, so if I really don't need to change it, I prefer not to. I know that some of the oil will remain in there, but wondering if enough to worry about and wondering if enough that it has damaged the oil filter.

I used regular 10w-30 motor oil last time I changed it, but my mechanic said I should use a semi-synthetic oil in it, so not sure what oil is best for this car. I know there are a lot of opinions on this because I have read other threads about the oil everyone uses. When I first start the car, it will make a brief knocking sound (less than a second) which is alarming since the car only has 59k miles, but I have read it is common on these cars - if that is the same issue I am reading about. My mechanic said the engine is solid. He said he looked down in the motor and it was a clean as a pin.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
Re: Oil filter less than 30 miles on it - change when I change out the "gassy" oil or

Something about that whole thing just seems fishy to me, but if I were in a situation similar to that I would replace the filter. The last thing you want on here is another debate about conventional vs synthetic, those are ridiculous and take forever. :lol:

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,215 Posts
Re: Oil filter less than 30 miles on it - change when I change out the "gassy" oil or

I change the oil in my '91 DeVille shortly after I got it and have only driven the car like 15 miles with the FI issues, but it was idled a lot during troubleshooting. If you look in another thread you will see I had some major fuel injector issues. The car was not ran much like that with the new oil but my mechanic said the new oil is "gassy" because my car was running extremely rich and it needs to be changed which I intend to do myself. My question is, should the oil filter be OK, or should I change it as well? I know they are not expensive and it is easy to get to it, but it seems to make a big mess the way it is angled in the engine bay, so if I really don't need to change it, I prefer not to. I know that some of the oil will remain in there, but wondering if enough to worry about and wondering if enough that it has damaged the oil filter.

I used regular 10w-30 motor oil last time I changed it, but my mechanic said I should use a semi-synthetic oil in it, so not sure what oil is best for this car. I know there are a lot of opinions on this because I have read other threads about the oil everyone uses. When I first start the car, it will make a brief knocking sound (less than a second) which is alarming since the car only has 59k miles, but I have read it is common on these cars - if that is the same issue I am reading about. My mechanic said the engine is solid. He said he looked down in the motor and it was a clean as a pin.

Thanks!
===========================
absolutely change the filter -

dino or synthetic oil is strictly a personal choice -

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Something about that whole thing just seems fishy to me, but if I were in a situation similar to that I would replace the filter. The last thing you want on here is another debate about conventional vs synthetic, those are ridiculous and take forever. :lol:
Fishy about the oil being "gassy"? I am not sure. That is what he said and when I smelled of it today, it did smell a lot like gasoline. I mean the car was running terrible. 3 of the 8 injectors were bad and the car was running extremely poor and chugging jet black exhaust.

Yeah like I said I have read about "what oil" opinions and not really looking for any info on that. Plain 10w-30 oil is fine for me. I have never used synthetic oil in any car I have had (none had required it) and I have never had any problems. I did read some opinions about what oil to ease some sort of knocking sounds these engines make, but not really concerned with that either as long as it don't cause the engine to blow. Thanks.

===========================
absolutely change the filter -

dino or synthetic oil is strictly a personal choice -
Looks like another messy engine ahead - stupid design the way the oil runs out on the engine when you remove the oil filter. lol. Ok thanks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I changed the oil AND filter today. I used 10w-30 oil and AC Delco oil filter.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts