Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1990 deville 4.5L and its about time for an oil change. How does the oil filter come off the adapter without getting oil everywhere, does not look like a very practical place to have it mounted?

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,024 Posts
Rags, paper towels, corn based fermented beverage

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
Not familiar with the 4.5 filter adapter and location. IF the base of the filter is higher than the gasket/tapping plate you could punch a hoole in the high point of the filter case and let it drain into the pan for a half hour .......

Old Ferrari V-12 trick ......... see the inverted oil filters - full flow and bypass - just behind the radiator?

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It's one of the best locations for filter. It's easily accessible and there's no climbing under the car to get to it. Shove a couple rags under the area to catch any spills.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
How does the oil filter come off the adapter without getting oil everywhere,
It doesn't. Even with rags under it, it's still gonna make a mess, run down and drip off the pan. Rags will help, but won't alleviate the problem. It is easy access, but you still have to get under the car to drain the oil. I always thought it was a piss poor design.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,860 Posts
Wrap the filter in a plastic bag just after cracking it loose and spin it off by hand.

·
Registered
1994 DeVille 4.9l
101 Posts
Wrap the filter in a plastic bag just after cracking it loose and spin it off by hand.
I do this on my 4.9. I end up with none or minimal oil anywhere depending on how careful I am. It's a little cumbersome to keep the bag around the filter but well worth the effort to avoid the mess in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
Now why didn't you tell me that when I had my '92 Deville Harry?

I'll have to give that a try on the Road Runner.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It doesn't. Even with rags under it, it's still gonna make a mess, run down and drip off the pan. Rags will help, but won't alleviate the problem. It is easy access, but you still have to get under the car to drain the oil. I always thought it was a piss poor design.
You can reach the drain plug from the side without crawling under. I figured that one out in frigid temperatures when I didn't want to do the extra work of jacking the car up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts