Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a FYI on a recent track outing where I got to really work out the motor. With about the smallest Mocal cooler 13 row 325 Matrix, temps never exceeded 230. That was with long fast 140 mph straights at Road America with lots of operating at the upper most rpm ranges on a 420 rwhp LS6. I was worried the cooler might be to small but so far it's getting the job done.

Reactions: thebigjimsho

·
Registered
CTS-V
469 Posts
very cool...my mechanic just the other day said maybe look at an oil cooler since I since in TX and air temps can be in the 80 and high 90's on track days. He also recommended to run Mobil One 15-50...something I need to think about and read about...

What parts did you use? or was it a kit? (any pictures?)
approx cost?

[email protected]

·
Registered
'05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys
1,070 Posts
would be nice if you could provide a list of parts and a couple of pics during the install. also, where sourced. $.

also, with which oil? what temps did you see without the additional oil cooler?

I'm wondering if switching to the M1 5w40 TDT would be better in the summer/track.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,653 Posts
What parts did you lose?
I re-read his post and I don't see any mention of him losing parts. Sometimes I lose a fastener or two when I'm working on the car. Don't you hate that?

I run a mix of 5W-40 TDT and 15W-50.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news. How'd the suspension and tires work out?
The difference was pretty overwhelming. I ran the first session with the AD08s and then decided I should get a better feel for the car before I go with the R comps. It was pretty cold and windy as well. With my old set up of HRs and FG2s the car seemed to push a little more than it does now especially at low speeds. The new setup seems to keep the tires hooked up better tracking out and with the bumpy parts of the course. Lots of elevation changes and the KWs were very confidence inspiring. RAmerica is scary fast and lots of the straight sections are not exactly straight. I did notice some squirrely sensations at speed when making small steering corrections but that may have been me being a little heavy handed. The clutch (Exedy) worked well and grabbed so much better than my slippy Fidanza. The car felt more powerful. I'm not sure I would change anything on the KWs settings right now. Plus I wouldn't change anything until I get some feedback with the R comps. Can't say enough about Raybestos ST42s either. Worth the extra dough for sure. I'm headed back up in a few weeks. All in all a real game changer for me anyway. Funny how some of these changes underscore your driving weaknesses.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
181 Posts
funny, i just tested out my Mocal oil cooler kit this past weekend as well!! I ran the car at Sebring, outside temp was high 80s and it was freakin HOT this weekend. Highest temp I saw was about 249*. I am running a Mocal 19 row (325 series) w/ 10AN lines and a TPIS adapter (sold the Katech - doesnt fit well at all).

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
funny, i just tested out my Mocal oil cooler kit this past weekend as well!! I ran the car at Sebring, outside temp was high 80s and it was freakin HOT this weekend. Highest temp I saw was about 249*. I am running a Mocal 19 row (325 series) w/ 10AN lines and a TPIS adapter (sold the Katech - doesnt fit well at all).
Good number. I was in 20* cooler weather.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I run a mix of 5W-40 TDT and 15W-50.
all year round? or, just summer/track?

I'm nearing my next oil change and have been using M1 5w30, but, if I track the car... I think that's not going to be "enough". thinking of switching to the M1 5w40 TDT...that's what I used in my heavily modified Audi A4 1.8T with a bigger turbo kit on it. ...only way to keep the temps down at the track. no good for deep winter temps at cold starts, though.

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,653 Posts
I just run that mix during the summer / open track season.

I also thought about doing Rotella T6 5W-40, as that gets rave reviews from the Subaru crowd and apparently does well in oil analysis results posted over on bobistheoilguy.com. I may do that when I change the oil again (which should be early June, after going back to VIR the first weeked of the month) - a gallon jug of the Rotella + the M1 15W-50. It'll probably depend on which I can do cheaper. :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
that's what the Audi guys use as well, which need the 5w40 oils, especially in turbo applications and even more so when going to bigger turbo(s). I can't see how either would hurt for the V, except maybe slighly less mpg and no good in the cold winter at cold starts, but half of mine would be in a warm garage. maybe start changing in April to 5w40 and then in Oct to 5w30. I didn't get to 10k this year, so it wouldn't even be 5k/interval.

·
Registered
none
626 Posts
Looking for a thread to post this info so the necessary parties would see it. TPIS has an oil cooler adapter block that does not include the temp sensor hump on it. The unit is just under 1" thick, tapped for -10 AN fittings which are included, and the price is $99. It is my understanding that the V LS engines don't need the sensor fitting, so this would make a thin adapter block for plumbing in a cooler.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts