Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac STS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Seville STS, and I have owned other Cadillacs previously. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the cars oil consumption. It seems like I have to add some oil every couple of weeks. Has any else experienced this? I heard its just what happens with a Northstar. Let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS 140k miles
50 Posts
Yea everyone says it just happens...and I hate that answer. I get the "check oil level" at least once a week. I have bad leaks but id rather add a quart or two every week than pay to have a new gasket installed. I want to know how low is the oil when the message appears in the DIC? I usually add 2 quarts just to be safe but was wondering if just 1 is enough. Is it ok as long as I keep adding or should i get it fixed? How much would it cost me roughly?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,446 Posts
Many, many posts on this over the last 3 years. Use the "search" tab up in the blue bar ^^^ and enter keywords to find threads. There's also a GM TSB posted which gives the GM interpretation of Northstar oil consumption.

How high do you try to keep the oil level, cold ?? Anything over halfway up the dipstick hashmark is overfilled and the engine will throw out that half quart in a hurry. (Addressed in the GM TSB).

Have you ever read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive, up in the black bar ^^^ ?

What grade oil are you running ?? 5W-30 is recommended for your car unless you live in Egypt (HOT).

The engine takes 7.5 quarts, with filter. No more. Now look at the dipstick - the level after oil/filter change, start, run, shut down, wait 5 minutes is your FULL mark. If you have oil leaks, that's not oil consumption, that's a different mechanical problem which is repairable. Don't "just add 2 quarts"........measure what you're doing. Too much oil is just as bad for an engine as not enough ! If you have oil pan or halfcase gasket leaks, the proper fix is NOT CHEAP !!! The level sensor comes on ABOUT 2 quarts low.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
Yea everyone says it just happens...and I hate that answer. I get the "check oil level" QUOTE]

am i suposed to wait till the check oil level light comes on i just hit the 2200 miles mark since last oil change and the light did not come on but i checked hte oil level it looked a little low so i added a Qt should i have waited till the light came on ?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,446 Posts
Pup, Don't wait until the "check oil level" warning shows. Every week or so, after the car has been sitting turned off on a level surface for 5 or more minutes, pop the hood and check the dipstick. If the oil level is at the lower end of the hashmark (ADD) pour in a half quart of the correct oil for your car. (Your manual calls for 5W-30, either regular or synthetic, whatever makes you happy.) The idea is to bring the level up to halfway on the hashmark, not higher. According to GM, if the oil level is always maintained at the top of the mark or (some dipsticks) at the MAX level, the engine is overfilled and this leads to excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
Pup, Don't wait until the "check oil level" warning shows. Every week or so, after the car has been sitting turned off on a level surface for 5 or more minutes, pop the hood and check the dipstick. If the oil level is at the lower end of the hashmark (ADD) pour in a half quart of the correct oil for your car. (Your manual calls for 5W-30, either regular or synthetic, whatever makes you happy.) The idea is to bring the level up to halfway on the hashmark, not higher. According to GM, if the oil level is always maintained at the top of the mark or (some dipsticks) at the MAX level, the engine is overfilled and this leads to excessive oil consumption.
ok cool i have been checking like every 700 miles wich is like evyer week and half

1 - 6 of 6 Posts