Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS Sedan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 CTS with the base 3.6 engine. I watched a video on Youtube that talks about re-engineered valve cover gaskets to stop excessive oil consumption. Is this true? If so, could someone please post contact info so I can purchase them. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,674 Posts
I have to edit my response; I had read the above post incorrectly, I was responding to a PCV valve change and NOT the gasket, my bad.

So how many miles are on the engine and what type of oil do you use 5W-30, 10W-40? synth or regular?
How often is it changed and how much does it use?
How much does it leak?

·
Registered
2008 CTS Sedan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is the new gaskets actually close the holes to the PCV system to stop oil consumption - didn't realize it could get worse.

Engine has 115k miles. I bought it with 15k and it's always consumed more oil than any car I've owned. Religiously change the oil every 2500 miles with Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,469 Posts
It is my understanding that the new gasket design shields the PCV "valve" from oil splash and thereby reduces oil consumption. I am planning to install them in the near future. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
673 Posts
Go to this thread where I posted a picture of the new gasket design: Still oil in intake after new PCV valve.

In my picture posted there, on the right side, where the PCV "valve" pulls vapour out of the crankcase, the new gasket covers a fairly wide opening with a solid barrier with just three small holes. There's still enough space to exhaust excess pressure IMO and it should reduce some oil consumption but I have not done a before and after test. My CTS with the LLT engine has never really had an oil level problem.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,187 Posts
you change your oil every 2500 miles???...how much time elapses between oil changes???...

Bill

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,674 Posts
I have to edit my response; I had read the post incorrectly, I was responding to a PCV valve change and NOT the gasket, my bad.

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,469 Posts
Go to this thread where I posted a picture of the new gasket design: Still oil in intake after new PCV valve.

In my picture posted there, on the right side, where the PCV "valve" pulls vapour out of the crankcase, the new gasket covers a fairly wide opening with a solid barrier with just three small holes. There's still enough space to exhaust excess pressure IMO and it should reduce some oil consumption but I have not done a before and after test. My CTS with the LLT engine has never really had an oil level problem.
Thank you NorthernSRX. That was my recollection but couldn't find much on the subject via www searching. (y)

Flash: to err is human, to admit it is cool. :cool:

Reactions: TheFlash
1 - 9 of 9 Posts