Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Oil consumption and blowby devices

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  chevyhighperformance 
#1 ·
Hi.

I, like a few others on this forum, have high oil consumption. Mine's worse than anyone's.

Has anybody made a blowby re-router or can suggest where I should look to see if my blowby is especially bad?

I'm doing an auto-Rx treatment right now, but I know that will at best only help my issue a little.

Thanks

#2 ·
I'm not sure if this helps. In the early LS1 days, there was an oil consumption issue. The initial thought was there was an almuminum block porostiy issue, but this was eventually ruled out. The problem actually stemmed from GM using low tension rings which resulted in ring flutter at low engine loads. I think GM went through a couple ring interations until the problem was reduced. The people who had the problem switched from Mobile 1 to an oil that wasn't as "thin" at high temperatures like Valvoline synthetic. Some people would mix some 20W40 or thicker oil with 5W30 to thicken up the oil. The "thicker" oil helped to dampen out the ring fluttering and was thicker so that less would get past the rings. At high engine loads, oil consumption was less.

There was also a smaller issue with oil coming through the PCV system into the intake manifold. Many people designed catch cans and filters to help with this. There wasn't that much oil coming through the PCV but enough to dilute the A/F mix and gunk up the intake manifold. GM designed new valve covers that have something to help block oil from splashing into the PCV ports.

My son has an 04 3.6L with 57K miles and so far it seems he doesn't have an oil consumption issue. I did notice a couple drops of oil in the resonator, but nothing to be alarmed about.

#3 ·
Thanks Chevy.

In a couple weeks I'll be changing my oil and filter and have already decided to go with Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 10w40 or its equivalent.

I'm hoping the auto-rx treatment and the thicker oil will get me to 1200 miles or so to the quart.

This REALLY bugs me because I LOVE this car. I may sell it if I can't resolve this because I'm afraid bigger problems may be coming due to this. Arghhh...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.