Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS W/NAV 56K
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 times I had my oil changed the check oil level message has appeared on my dash. My STS only has 54k on it and the message appears way before the 3k window is up. Heres my question. I know it calls for 7.5 quarts of oil and will take up to 8, should I insist on the extra half quart or is there possibly another looming problem? Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Chech the oil with the dipstick, is it low?

Ohhh wait I know what you're experiencing.

Here read up about oil consumption:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#noil

What you're going through is perfecly normal, unless of course the low oil light is on and the oil level is actually good.

·
Registered
STS
132 Posts
I read that article... I guess I feel a bit better that its considered "Normal" but it is a pain in the ass... Also that article indicates that you should "Air it out" with some WOT, which I do, however you better make sure you oil level is good!!!!!!

I'm experiencing burn-off like you and I only have 30K miles on my 2003 STS.

LESSON JEFFERY IS: Check Oil frequently, at least every two times you get gas!
I learned this as well, only after reading the articles posted here!!!

JC

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)
473 Posts
you can play it pretty safe by just adding when the check oil life message comes on. i believe there is 5 quarts left in the sump when the message 1st appears, which is plenty. thats what i do. yeah the Northstar engine is an oil eater :p

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Don't put 8 qts. in it. It will just burn off the extra 1/2 qt. faster. Are you sure they are puting 7 1/2 qts. in it? When the CHECK OIL LEVEL messege appears, your oil level should be just off the dip stick or at the very bottom of it. If not, then the sensor may be bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts