Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,454 Posts
For price comparisons then and now - in March of 1965 I special ordered a 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS 327-350 with 4-speed, posi, 775/14 Firestones, HD suspension, radio, p/s delete, a/c delete, HD battery, tinted glass, "transistor ignition", mats, other goodies. Picked it up from the dealership in May. The total invoice, out the door, was $2288.32. I have the original papers. 97, 98, 99 octane gas was about $0.35 a gallon. You could still buy Sunoco 104 anywhere. In 1966 I was newly married - we bought a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath brick rambler/double carport on a corner lot on Isle of Palms, SC 2 blocks off the beach for $17,900.
1965 Chevrolet Impala SS 396, 4 speed, blzck vinyl top, bucket sests... List $3,600. Gas - low $0.25 high - $0.40 House - $10,000 (out of the city)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,818 Posts
I think you could get an equipped '67 Stingray 427 4-speed for about $6400 ????

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,454 Posts
I think you could get an equipped '67 Stingray 427 4-speed for about $6400 ????
Yup.. almost traded in 66. Looked a 427 Biscayne or 66 Corvette Coupe with 437/390 Tri Power. But, new baby on the way. Plus I only making $5 hr at IBM. I started at $2 an hour. First check was $90 with OT.

Last check in 92 with a buy out was about $120,000 before taxes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
My dealer usually does a sale price for $59-69 for the full synthetic dexos oil change. That includes them pulling my floor matts and washing them, washing car(car wash), tire rotation, and some basic checks on suspension and fluids.

Just posting for comparison for others. I do my own oil in the not snowy months and usually do one last change before snow to try and get through most of winter. I'm also pretty tuned now, so I use Mobile1 ESP.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,768 Posts
I really like doing my own oil changes because even a good dealer has a luck of the draw component with different techs assigned to the job. I am fine with having my Corvette serviced because the dealership that does it likes customers to watch service for cars like the Vet and there are a lot of passionate Corvette owners at the dealership. If that dealership had a Cadillac franchise I would seriously consider another Cadillac because they are so good at what they do over the entire ownership cycle.

They also keep my daughter supplied with GM and dealership branded stuff to wear at soccer practice because the general manager jokingly tells me that they want to be her first professional sponsor. The only bad thing about that dealership is they really make you realize how bad some of the other dealerships are with their business operations.

Rodger

Reactions: RedCadi

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
666 Posts
I really like doing my own oil changes because even a good dealer has a luck of the draw component with different techs assigned to the job. I am fine with having my Corvette serviced because the dealership that does it likes customers to watch service for cars like the Vet and there are a lot of passionate Corvette owners at the dealership. If that dealership had a Cadillac franchise I would seriously consider another Cadillac because they are so good at what they do over the entire ownership cycle.

They also keep my daughter supplied with GM and dealership branded stuff to wear at soccer practice because the general manager jokingly tells me that they want to be her first professional sponsor. The only bad thing about that dealership is they really make you realize how bad some of the other dealerships are with their business operations.

Rodger
My powertrain warranty just ended on my ATS in May, I will probably do oil changes myself now unless I need one done in winter. But I had always previously used the dealership ($50) and they were great, but they are Cadillac only and not a chain that works on multiple GM brands. I could be wrong but I think that has something to do with it. I even made nice with the bodyshop manager there and had my lip kit, custom grill, rear chrome bumper trim piece, and trunk spoiler painted for a good price. I almost want to keep going there because I enjoy the people and atmosphere haha.

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
972 Posts
For the DIY'ers consider installing a Fumoto or similar quick drain valve. I installed one on my 07 SRX 3.6l. Oil can easily be drained without jacking up the car.

·
Registered
2009 cadillac DTS
1 Posts
In my first car in 1977 ( Buick), I was able to reach in and remove the oil filter from above. Oil was 50 cents a quart and the filter was $2. There was a lot of room around the engine even with AC. Now, there is more stuff all around and you have to raise the car to do the most basic services.

My mechanic did oil and lubes for $13.99. Gas was 60 cents a gallon. My sister had to replace a transmission for $700.

A new Cadillac was about $12,000. How we long for those prices at todays money.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
184 Posts
Just tossing in my couple cents worth. Just did the first oil change on the SRX recently. Cost me $30.60 for Valvoline full synthetic (on sale) and an AC filter. Can't speak for the other 3.6 models, but this car is very easy to change oil on. It took me under 10 mins. Seriously. Not counting time to let the old oil drain. I've never paid for an oil change and never will. It's not a bad thing to take a good look at the bottom of your car once or twice a year. Not only will you save a few dollars on oil changes, but you might save a whole lot of money by finding little problems before they turn into major ones.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts