Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
I use the monitor as a rough indicator & replace either at 10% or 6 months - whichever comes first. The monitor doesn't have the wherewithal to tell you the actual condition of the oil - it's only a guide.

If you use a quality synthetic - Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc., that should be sufficient. Some folks extend the change even further. Some still don't feel confortable going beyond 3000 miles. imho, it's a waste of money to replace at that point - but whatever makes you feel good.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
It appears that you have a 2007 CTS, so I am assuming that you purchased it new?

The CTS uses Mobil 1 5W/30 weight synthetic motor oil. Typically, synthetic motor oils will retain their viscosity based on your driving habits of somewhere between 5000 and as much as 15000 miles.

Typically, most drivers will find themselves changing their oil and filter at the 7000 - 8000 mile mark.

I have always followed the practice of changing the motor oil on new engines at the first 1000 miles and then every 5000 miles thereafter regardless of what is reported on the DIC.

If this is going to be your first oil change; I might recommend to you that you consider using Royal Purple 5W/30 synthetic motor oil and a K&N Gold Series replacement cartridge oil filter.

You'll need six quarts of RP synthetic motor oil and the K&N filter. Total cost for everything is about $50.00

This is one of the easiest "DIY" maintaince items.

Be sure to allow the engine to sufficiently cool before changing the oil as the oil filter cartridge is retained in its own threaded aluminum housing.

Aluminum has the tendancy to expand and contract when subject to heat and you don't want to damage the oil cartridge housing threads when removing it from a "hot engine".

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
I wouldnt even bother going by that % crap and just change it every 4000 miles or when u feel u need to. I always change mine every 4000 or 5 months depending on my driving. i rather always have clean oil int he car then not.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The 3.6L engine does not have an oil cooler. In lieu of the cooler, GM has issued a spec for high temperature performance; GM4718M. GM has issued a list of the oils that THEY have tested and approved. Other manufacturers can claim they meet the spec but can't prove it. Look for the GM4718M seal on the label. The factory service manual says you can run the OLM to 0% or for one year. You then have two fuel fillups to get the oil and filter changed. The GM OLM system was developed by an award winning GM team led by one of the foremost lubrication engineers in the world. You can take the readings for gospel. Anybody pooh poohing the OLM system is displaying gross ignorance.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The 3.6L engine does not have an oil cooler. In lieu of the cooler, GM has issued a spec for high temperature performance; GM4718M. GM has issued a list of the oils that THEY have tested and approved. Other manufacturers can claim they meet the spec but can't prove it. Look for the GM4718M seal on the label. The factory service manual says you can run the OLM to 0% or for one year. You then have two fuel fillups to get the oil and filter changed. The GM OLM system was developed by an award winning GM team led by one of the foremost lubrication engineers in the world. You can take the readings for gospel. Anybody pooh poohing the OLM system is displaying gross ignorance.
Koz is correct in that the OLM system was developed by an award winning GM team lead by one of the foremost lubrication engineers in the world...and that is gospel.

It is however my understanding that the OLM algorithims were written over a period of 16 months of collecting data on internal oil temperature, RPM load, thermal breakdown, coolant temperature etc on an LS1 "stock" engine in developing the Oil Life Monitoring System.

That being said Koz, is each OLM systems algorithims specific to each GM engine platform or is the OLM system that was developed for the LS1 based Corvette simply carried over to various other GM engine platforms such as the 3.6 VVT platform?

And what is to be said of the OLM system with regard to engines that have been modified from stock?

I would agree that it is fool-hardy to throw away perfectly good synthetic motor oil at 3000 miles.

I'm not pooh poohing the OLM sytem.....I simply change my vehicle oil typically between 5000 and 7500 due to modifications and would prefer to err on the side of being conservative.

Nevertheless; even if the OLM system stopped working tomorrrow; you still have your odometer and good common sense as to when is a reasonable time to change the motor oil I would think.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Iam guessing my change wil be due at about 15K kilometres. Approx 9300 Miles. Too much ?
No, not at all......that sounds about "dead on" accurate if you remember that synthetic motor oils are designed to provide about 5000 to 15000 miles of use on average based upon your vehicle driving habits.

Your vehicle driving habits are "monitored" by the vehicles Oil Life Monitoring System, based on average engine oil and coolant temperatures, RPM load etc, etc.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My Cub Cadet 7 horsepower lawn mower did not come with an Oil Life Monitoring System.

Can anyone tell me how often I should be changing the motor oil?

Also, does it make a difference on how often I should be changing the oil if I am bagging the grass clippings versus mulching?

It just occurred to me that mulching may increase the "deck temperature" of the lawnmower and cause the oil to break down sooner. Is this possible?

I do notice when I am bagging the grass clipping; the lawn mower does seem to run a bit cooler as I don't get those awful 3'rd degree burns on my hands when I touch the muffler.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
My Cub Cadet 7 horsepower lawn mower did not come with an Oil Life Monitoring System.

Can anyone tell me how often I should be changing the motor oil?

Also, does it make a difference on how often I should be changing the oil if I am bagging the grass clippings versus mulching?

It just occurred to me that mulching may increase the "deck temperature" of the lawnmower and cause the oil to break down sooner. Is this possible?

I do notice when I am bagging the grass clipping; the lawn mower does seem to run a bit cooler as I don't get those awful 3'rd degree burns on my hands when I touch the muffler.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts are you're in the wrong forum :tisk:

-GT

·
Registered
736 Posts
GT: off topic thread; are the Canadian version CTS's sold with the red&white rear back up lights as are the Euro versions?

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
Koz is correct in that the OLM system was developed by an award winning GM team lead by one of the foremost lubrication engineers in the world...and that is gospel.

It is however my understanding that the OLM algorithims were written over a period of 16 months of collecting data on internal oil temperature, RPM load, thermal breakdown, coolant temperature etc on an LS1 "stock" engine in developing the Oil Life Monitoring System.

That being said Koz, is each OLM systems algorithims specific to each GM engine platform or is the OLM system that was developed for the LS1 based Corvette simply carried over to various other GM engine platforms such as the 3.6 VVT platform?

And what is to be said of the OLM system with regard to engines that have been modified from stock?

I would agree that it is fool-hardy to throw away perfectly good synthetic motor oil at 3000 miles.

I'm not pooh poohing the OLM sytem.....I simply change my vehicle oil typically between 5000 and 7500 due to modifications and would prefer to err on the side of being conservative.

Nevertheless; even if the OLM system stopped working tomorrrow; you still have your odometer and good common sense as to when is a reasonable time to change the motor oil I would think.
Massaging and refining the OLM alogarithm is an ongoing process. The original testing determined which measurable engine operating conditions best predicted service life of the oil. The beauty of the OLM system was that all that was required to validate it's use with other engines in the GM lineup was to compare oil analysis data collected during specific testing with the original data and verify that the oil condition was affected in similar ways by similar operating conditions. It's no mystery why Dr. Schwartz has the respect of her peers and why GM has extended its engine warranties to 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
GT: off topic thread; are the Canadian version CTS's sold with the red&white rear back up lights as are the Euro versions?
Not sure I know what you mean exactly, but as far as i know ours are identical except for some differences in standard equipment/option packages and we get a speedo that goes up to 260 (since we use km/h).

-GT

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
What the heck does GM know about cars and engines???

If the General was that smart, he would be a supporting member on the forum.

·
Registered
736 Posts
What the heck does GM know about cars and engines???
What the General doesn't know about engines, Lingenfelter and Katech do; and in most cases they play a very large part in GM's high performance engine development.

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
There are several international endurance records held by the Northstar and Aurora series of engines that were set by teams of GM engineers. An interesting point is that in the IRL series the teams that had reliability problems were ignoring GM advice and were pursuing their own developement programs at their peril. Possibly the most successful sports/racing engines in history, the ZL-1 Chevrolet, was used straight out of the crate by Jim Hall in his Chaparral cars after a cleanup and the only parts changed were the piston pins.

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
i read a science article that stated that if u took 2 identical cars that were ready for an oil change and u added new oil to one and oil that has 3k on it the car w/the old oil will preform better, due to the chems. and all that scientific shit.
out, tucci

1 - 20 of 32 Posts