Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Black 3.6L CTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a question regarding oil changes. Usually I get my oil changed on a car every 3k miles. But I've been told that cars that use synthetic oil really only need to get oil changes every 5k to 6k miles. There is also a gauge on the dash that displays the "life" of the oil in percent but it seems I would only have to get an oil change every 8k to 10k miles. What do most CTS owners do?

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
I personally use synthetic oil and I use my oil life monitor. I get my oil changed when it is around 20%. Synthetic oil should last longer than traditional oil.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
I also follow what the reading in the Driver Information Center tells me. I get it changed when it reaches 10% remaining.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
I go by the DIC or at about six month intervals - whichever comes first. It's usually six months & 6 - 8k.

Invariably the DIC will still indicate 40% or thereabouts of oil life remaining.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
214 Posts
I change mine about every 6 months, which usually results in about 6K on the oil.

If you have the 3.6L, be sure to use an oil that meets the GM4718M specification. It's required for these engines. This spec means that the oil meets GM's requirements for high-temperature performance. Many synthetics meet it, just read the label before you buy.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The book says 0% on the OLM or every 12 months. After the OLM reaches 0% you have two gas tank fillups to get the deed done.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
228 Posts
I got a question, I have a 03 3.2. I switched the DIC to a 05 NAV I am pretty sure it kept all my info including the oil life during the switch. The DIC oil life reading is just a formula right not actually monitoring the oil? Would the 3.6 05 it was meant for be different then my 03? Is it ok for me to keep using my oil life meter.

I get mine changed at the dealer, their sticker in the window just expired but the oil life reads like 35%.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
fyi...............................

GM gasoline engines require the use of an engine oil that has the American Petroleum Institute (API) Starburst and states that it meets GM Standard GM6094M (non-synthetic) or GM4718M (synthetic). Failure to use the recommended engine oil can result in engine damage not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Yeah, the guy that usually does my oil change mentioned how you can void the warranty by putting in the wrong oil.

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
I can't bring myself to let it got til the DIC tells me to change it. I change it every 6k.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts