Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before anyone starts firing, I have searched the forum and my head is like :bighead:.... my question is if i can get a free oil change from the dealer when should i get it. some people admit to waiting 1 year before an oil change..isn't that bad on the engine......REALLY when should we change our oil...help please

·
Registered
873 Posts
As a general rule, every 3000 miles. I believe every 3000 miles if you do mainly city driving, and 5000 if you do highway.

When I was younger and had a Buick Century, I went 80k without an oil change and never had any issues whatsoever. I think part of it is a ploy to sell more products. Nonetheless, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
04 Cadillac Escalade EXT
54 Posts
you will get a dozen responses, with a dozen diffrent answers. I use standard non-synthetic oil and the old school in me makes me do the standard 3,000 mile interval, no matter that the computer tells me I still have 60% more oil life.

·
Registered
Cadillac
215 Posts
I was wondering what I should do as well. It seems like the computer is telling me to go longer than 3000 miles. I didn't really keep track of the miles and this will be the first time I have to change my oil. How does the computer determine whent o change the oil? Does it go by milage? sensor in the oil?

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
The computer factors in a lot of variables. Temperature, mileage, rpms, and some other stuff. I usually changed the oil at 3,000 miles but my last change i waited till the computer told me to change it and it was roughly 4,500 miles.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT
670 Posts
Oil can be kept in for way more than 3,000 miles as shown by all the different posts but, Petrolium based oil should be changed every 3,000 miles or every 3 months regardless of the miles because it breaks down from engine heat and just weather changes from Winter to Summer.
The longer you leave the oil in, the more the oil level needs to be checked.
Doesn't matter how long the oil lasts,.. doesn't help much if it gets low.
Synthetic is a vast improvement over petrolium based oil and there is a marked improvement in performance with Synthetic..
It lubricates better, last longer and the inside of the engine stays perfectly clean because it doesn't leave sludge like Petrolium based oil.
The Synthetic will not get thin when Hot and will not get thick when Cold.

I use Synthetic but still change my oil and filter every 3-5,000 miles.
If I can't get the oil changed at 3,000 I know I'm good until I can.
Personally, I don't want to wait 6-10,000 miles to change the oil and filter.
Also, if leaving the oil in for Extended miles, a filter made to go the long miles should be used,.. if not,..it defeats the purpose of leaving the oil in for extented miles.
Changing the oil and filter every 3-5,000 miles is a small price to pay considering the alternative.

Here's another thread with info and, how very accurate the oil life monitor is.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/113135-oil-change-life-indicator.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everyone has an opinion but if you want to know how your oil really performs at different mileage intervals send it off for oil analysis. Then you KNOW how many miles you can safely run and many other things that are going on in your motor. Do a search under oil analysis to find the companies that do this. It is not expensive and will answer the question once and for all. I have heard the car's oil computer is very accurate and mine always triggers between 4500-5000 miles. It never looks too dark. FYI, I run full synthetic and a premium oversized filter and I change it myself because I don't trust the pit monkeys to not screw my truck up. Also allows me to keep an eye on the magnetic drain plug. You will always see some wear, just make sure it is consistent. While your under there switch the differentials over to synthetic as well. Never hurts and only costs about $20 per axle.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
78 Posts
the service manager at my cadillac dealer emphatically told me that there is absolutely no reason to not trust the oil life monitor.. he said that they all just took another course about how accurate it is.. with our truck it had like 6500 miles on it after 1 year before i had the oil changed and it said like 30% life left.... i think in the future i am going to change it every 5000 miles or so... waiting that long makes me nervous (we only really drive her on weekends)...

they also said that the trucks are not designed to handle synthetic oil and i should use the regular oil.. they said regular oil is actually healthier for the '07 engine.. i know someone is probably going to post something like those guys are idiots, you should go somewhere else, etc.. but some of these mechanics over there have been working exclusively on cadillacs for like 25+ yrs... these guys appear to know their stuff... so who knows....

from what i gather, unless the OLM tells you to change it, it seems like 3000 miles might be too often and regardless of what the OLM says it seems like 10,000 is too many.. so like i said i am going 5000 miles from here on out..

also, make sure you run your truck on super 93 octane all the time.. never regular no matter what anyone says.... that will help the engine burn cleaner and keep it strong and healthy also..

·
Registered
07 Escalade
48 Posts
I found this link from another thread regarding synthetic oil and 2008 Cadillac.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...ewID=news_view

Seems like all Cadillacs will have synthetic oil from the factory starting in 2008, and the engine for the Escalade is the same for 2007 and 2008. I don't see why the mechanics are saying the engines were not design for synthetic oil.

When you spend over $60k for a car, why skim on things like synthetic or regular oil, even premium or regular gas? What is the harm of a little more frequent oil change (like 3-5000 miles) instead of waiting until the last "drop of oil life" from the monitor?

But that is only my take.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I found this link from another thread regarding synthetic oil and 2008 Cadillac.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...ewID=news_view

Seems like all Cadillacs will have synthetic oil from the factory starting in 2008, and the engine for the Escalade is the same for 2007 and 2008. I don't see why the mechanics are saying the engines were not design for synthetic oil.

When you spend over $60k for a car, why skim on things like synthetic or regular oil, even premium or regular gas? What is the harm of a little more frequent oil change (like 3-5000 miles) instead of waiting until the last "drop of oil life" from the monitor?

But that is only my take.
Many mechanics (or so called mechanics) are not engine builders so they are not tearing engines apart looking at worn items, seeing the differences synthetic oils make, and saying the engines of today are not designed for synthetic oils is very funny, as they did to all 2008 Caddy models, you will start to see move cars coming from the factory with synthetic oils due to the longer warranties that the manufactures are giving, synthetic oils just perform better and last longer, and offer better fuel mileage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts