Cadillac Owners Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,178 Posts
Jamler said:
Yeah... I hear ya MCOWDEN... Agree about the filters... I always use the Puralator Pure-One... But when I'm experiencing burn off... Dont you think its better to change more frequently...? Also, are you saying we "Shouldn't" use Synth in the NorthStar? Please clarify
What I'm saying is there is no need for synthetic in a Northstar that does not employ the VVT system. Synthetic oil does have some better technical characteristics than conventional (dino) oil, but those technical superiorities do not necessarily translate to benefits to the engine, and they almost definitely don't translate to any financial benefits to the owner. You can feel free to use synthetics if you so choose, I'm only saying that there is no evidence they provide any overall benefits to the engine. It would be a very, very rare occasion that anyone experienced engine failure due to lubrication problems as long as they changed the oil according to the OLM and used a decent-quality conventional motor oil of the grade and rating specified in the owner's manual. Most of the benefits touted by synthetics (and some additives) might be possible on very old engines or race engines or engines that otherwise would see poor lubricants or have mechanical properties that would benefit from use of synthetics, but those are not really applicable to the Northstar. It's a well-engineered engine that does not really benefit from synthetic motor oil unless you're starting it in really, really extreme cold every day or running it hot in a hot climate every day. A couple months' worth of cold starts and a couple months worth of hot weather every year is not going to hurt the engine at all by using conventional oil. Use your money for something worthwhile like your retirement fund, kid's college fund, vacation fund, or a worthy charity. Don't put it in some rich oil guy's yacht fund.

Again, just my opinion. I am certainly not an expert here, just an interested observer. Use whatever you want, I'm just offering my point of view.

· Registered
STS
132 Posts
OK Thanks EcSTSatic... But really... If your experiencing burn off... Do ya just add a quart or so and keep driving towards your change date? I had the oil
changed at the end of September... Just added quart... Not too heavy driving either... (14 Mile daily commute, with about 4 miles being HWY- I287) I do drive it aggressively... I've been told NOT to baby this NorthStar engine. I'm not saying I'm stompin on it all the time, but ya know... Push it.

· Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,178 Posts
Jamler said:
OK Thanks EcSTSatic... But really... If your experiencing burn off... Do ya just add a quart or so and keep driving towards your change date? I had the oil
changed at the end of September... Just added quart... Not too heavy driving either... (14 Mile daily commute, with about 4 miles being HWY- I287) I do drive it aggressively... I've been told NOT to baby this NorthStar engine. I'm not saying I'm stompin on it all the time, but ya know... Push it.
If it's burning off a little oil, which is to be expected and is perfectly normal up to about 1 qt. per 1000 miles, that means you're putting up to 3 qts. of fresh oil in it every 3000 miles anyway. Cadillac is well aware of the phenomenon and has not issued any changes to the oil or change recommendations as a result. That even further reduces the need to follow more frequent oil changes. When the oil gets burned, most of the remnants get blown out the tailpipe. Replenishing with fresh oil will make up for anything that winds up in the oil and far more. You have nothing to worry about. Just drive it as you like, give it the occasional WOT, follow the maintenance recommendations, stop worrying about it and enjoy the car!

· Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,234 Posts
Jamler said:
That's what I do Jamler. Enjoy your ride!:thumbsup:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.