Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015i platinum includes free oil change maintenance as well as filter. After checking with the parts dept., they confirmed they use dexos1 which is just a synthetic blend. That's fine, I'll just buy my own oil mobil 1 0w/20 synthetic and have them change the oil for free. Well, I found out that you can't have it changed if it's not 20% or less oil life. Since I travel a lot I just paid the service and now have new understanding about their FREE oil change(which is the only service needed, really) for the escalades.

As far as upgrading to mobil 1 0w/20 extended performance, no parts store actually carry it?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
You can buy Mobil 1 0W20 AFE or Mobil 1 0W20 Extended Performance at any Walmart. They carry it and they are the cheapest I have found. I saw both types of Mobil 1 at Walmart last week when I was there. You can use either Mobil 1, but the oil life monitor is more geared towards the Mobil 1 AFE over the Extended Performance. The AC Delco Synthetic Blend Dexos 1 oil isn't bad and is what I will stick with for the Escalade. If you're going to go Mobil 1 and you get it at Walmart, pick up a Fram Ultra oil filter part number XG 10575 while you're there as that will filter oil for 15K miles. At 6,500 miles, the oil is still clean, so the 6.2L engine in the Escalade isn't hard on oil.

Cadillac Premium Care Maintenance also covers tire rotations, air filter changes and cabin filters (if equipped). I like to have them do all the work, so in case there are ever any issues, they can't blame me for having the vehicle serviced elsewhere. Trust me, they will!

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will use whatever type of filter they use. The only reason I want synthetic or even extended performance synthetic is because I have experienced their reliability in protecting the engine. My 2003 Honda Pilot I use the EP and change the oil every 15k miles with no topping off needed. I have used it since it was new. My escalade hybrid with 195k miles have only seen the EP version since it was new, as well.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I will use whatever type of filter they use. The only reason I want synthetic or even extended performance synthetic is because I have experienced their reliability in protecting the engine. My 2003 Honda Pilot I use the EP and change the oil every 15k miles with no topping off needed. I have used it since it was new. My escalade hybrid with 195k miles have only seen the EP version since it was new, as well.
The factory OEM filter will NOT last 15,000 miles just so you know. Don't risk it. If you're going to run the engine for 15,000 miles in between oil changes with Mobil 1 extended performance, run a premium synthetic filter. You don't want the filtering media in the AC Delco oil filter to come apart and take out the engine. I wouldn't run the OEM filter past 7,500 miles. You are thinking of running the OEM filter double the interval?

You may also want to know that GM went with a cheaper e-core design on their newer filters which will definitely NOT last 15,000 miles. The new e-core filters PF63E are cheaply made and will not go the distance. Heck, even the PF63 classic AC Delco oil filters won't go 15,000 miles in between oil changes. You don't want to run an oil filter so many miles that will put that oil filter into bypass mode. Just don't want you running into any issues. Be on the safer side and run a 15K rated oil filter like an Amsoil EAO17 or Fram Ultra XG 10575. You will sleep easier knowing you have a top tier synthetic oil and oil filter in your Escalade.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
You could pay to change the oil with the oil and filter of your choice at 60% and not reset the oil life monitor. Then go in for your "free" oil change at 20% with oil in hand.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
You could pay to change the oil with the oil and filter of your choice at 60% and not reset the oil life monitor. Then go in for your "free" oil change at 20% with oil in hand.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That's what I did with my CTS-V during the first couple of oil changes. Cadillac pays for Mobil 1 oil changes in my CTS-V, so I am covered whether I change it midway during the oil life or not. No matter what I use a Fram Ultra or Amsoil oil filter as the new AC Delco e-core oil filters are cheaply made and are not built to go the distance of 10K or 15K miles. Either way, frequent oil changes really is the cheapest insurance you can provide for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The factory OEM filter will NOT last 15,000 miles just so you know. Don't risk it. If you're going to run the engine for 15,000 miles in between oil changes with Mobil 1 extended performance, run a premium synthetic filter. You don't want the filtering media in the AC Delco oil filter to come apart and take out the engine. I wouldn't run the OEM filter past 7,500 miles. You are thinking of running the OEM filter double the interval?

You may also want to know that GM went with a cheaper e-core design on their newer filters which will definitely NOT last 15,000 miles. The new e-core filters PF63E are cheaply made and will not go the distance. Heck, even the PF63 classic AC Delco oil filters won't go 15,000 miles in between oil changes. You don't want to run an oil filter so many miles that will put that oil filter into bypass mode. Just don't want you running into any issues. Be on the safer side and run a 15K rated oil filter like an Amsoil EAO17 or Fram Ultra XG 10575. You will sleep easier knowing you have a top tier synthetic oil and oil filter in your Escalade.
I'm not using the extended performance to get a 15k mile oil change interval. I just want to use it so at 20% or below oil life, I know that it is just 50% oil use or less of the extended performance oil vs the dexos 1 synthetic blend they want to use on my escalade.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I'm not using the extended performance to get a 15k mile oil change interval. I just want to use it so at 20% or below oil life, I know that it is just 50% oil use or less of the extended performance oil vs the dexos 1 synthetic blend they want to use on my escalade.
I am currently at 17% oil life remaining at 6,500 miles on our 2015i Escalade and I checked the dipstick and the oil wasn't even dirty. You are safe with either the AC Delco Synthetic blend Dexos 1 approved OEM oil or Mobil 1 if you are simply going to change the oil according to the oil life monitor. I understand what you are saying, but that's just overkill. Get on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary and do some research and look at vehicle oil analysis reports and you will see what I am talking about. The OEM oil and filter when changed according to the oil life monitor will be just fine, but there is no harm in running Mobil 1 in it. Just run the Mobil 1 0W20 AFE. Extended Performance is just overkill.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am currently at 17% oil life remaining at 6,500 miles on our 2015i Escalade and I checked the dipstick and the oil wasn't even dirty. You are safe with either the AC Delco Synthetic blend Dexos 1 approved OEM oil or Mobil 1 if you are simply going to change the oil according to the oil life monitor. I understand what you are saying, but that's just overkill. Get on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary and do some research and look at vehicle oil analysis reports and you will see what I am talking about. The OEM oil and filter when changed according to the oil life monitor will be just fine, but there is no harm in running Mobil 1 in it. Just run the Mobil 1 0W20 AFE. Extended Performance is just overkill.
I usually run oil samples with blackstone labs and if it not for the sheer low viscosity of the 0W/20 I will use the regular mobil 1 0W/20. But i have run samples in my honda pilot and evo and though I agree that the mobil 1 0W/20 is just enough, the TBN is almost on the money that if you extend the use by accident or you're far from your home dealer, there is no wiggle room.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I usually run oil samples with blackstone labs and if it not for the sheer low viscosity of the 0W/20 I will use the regular mobil 1 0W/20. But i have run samples in my honda pilot and evo and though I agree that the mobil 1 0W/20 is just enough, the TBN is almost on the money that if you extend the use by accident or you're far from your home dealer, there is no wiggle room.
Glad to hear you and I are on the same page! I sent off a sample of the OEM Dexos 1 AC Delco oil from my CTS-V to Blackstone and the report was very favorable. So you are on the BITOG site!

You can run the OEM oil or Mobil 1 AFE to 0% oil life remaining and still be ok. These engines are not hard on oil at all. I drive the Escalade a lot harder than my wife does and the oil is surprisingly clean for the first 6,500 miles.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Looks like the new crap e-core filters are made by Fram judging by the internals. It looks just like a Fram toughguard filter. With AC Delco, you never know. They could be made by Champion labs as they make most of the filters out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts