Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage and oil life monitor percentage?

I currently have 2800 miles on the oil, 65% oil life and the oil is 6 months old.

I do drive the car a few times a week for short trips.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
i change my z06 once a yr... it's an 07, picked up in aug of 06 and has 11,xxx.... if that helps anything.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that helps thanks. I guess I just feel guilty for not changing it for a long period of time.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto
455 Posts
I trust the oil life monitor. Engineers are engineers for a reason, and they know about engine management, which is why I trust the oil life monitor. However, as to whether the car knows the intervals between starts and heat cycles is only info the engineers would be certain of. I would assume W4M knows a bit about this since he has extensive programming knowledge. Maybe he'll chime in on the matter.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Change the oil once a year or when the oil life monitor goes down to 0%. Synthetic oil is ok to leave in the crankcase for a year.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
An interesting note is that the monthly check that is made by OnStar will stop showing oil life percentage left after a year (just puts -- where the percentage usually is). It then starts recommending that the oil be changed. It continues to do this until the oil life monitor is reset, regardless of the actual oil life left.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I don't think any of us V owners would go a year or more without changing their oil. I think most of us change our oil way before it's due. It really is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
If you are not driving the car on a regular basis, once a year.

If you drive the car on a regular basis/daily, follow the MID. I change when the MID indicates 15%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts