Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
cts
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

How accurate do you beleive the engine life and transmission life readouts are on the information display for the cts? Is this an accurate judge of when they need changing, or should I stick to the usual 3000-5000 miles?

thanks for any info.

·
Registered
05 CTS
434 Posts
The OLM (oil life monitor) and the Transmission monitor levels are supposed to be what you actually go by. They are supposedly dead on, and computer calculated based on revolutions of the engine, and the read of the oil. You can stick to it if you wish......

I never let mine really get down passed 50%. By the time it reaches 50%, I'm usually 5-6k anyway...so I feel better about going and changing it. That's just me tho. I like the peace of mind. I'd never let it go passed 6k miles even if it was saying it was good. Just me again..lol

·
Registered
cts
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that was some quick response! OK, off to get the oil changed! my oil says 21%!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,091 Posts
My transmission life stayed at 100% always, flushed it out anyway at somewhere over 60k.
The biggest single factor in transmission oil life is temperature. If you never overheat the oil, the OLM will never budge, and the oil will never degrade. Unless you drive in the desert or tow a trailer the transmission OLM should stay near 100%

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
Ironically enough, when my oil life said 20% I had about 5,500 miles on it since the last oil change. So with Cartdawg's being at 50% with about 5,000 miles, it tells me that it's very accurite. Since him and I have different driving habits and he may travel longer for longer times. Where I live about 4 miles one way to work my engine wouldn't warm up as fast as his would if he would travel say 12 miles one way to work. So there fore my oil doesn't warm up and lube the entire engine as good as his.

That is just my theory as to why his was 50% at 5,000 while mine was 20% at 5,500 miles.

I've read some people on here won't let it past 20%, and from what I understand that is what the dealer says too.

KOT

·
Registered
05 CTS
434 Posts
Ironically enough, when my oil life said 20% I had about 5,500 miles on it since the last oil change. So with Cartdawg's being at 50% with about 5,000 miles, it tells me that it's very accurite. Since him and I have different driving habits and he may travel longer for longer times. Where I live about 4 miles one way to work my engine wouldn't warm up as fast as his would if he would travel say 12 miles one way to work. So there fore my oil doesn't warm up and lube the entire engine as good as his.

That is just my theory as to why his was 50% at 5,000 while mine was 20% at 5,500 miles.

I've read some people on here won't let it past 20%, and from what I understand that is what the dealer says too.

KOT
Nice point here!! lol. Although..my 'gauge' was just a 'off the top of the head' type of deal.....b/c it was near/around that area of mileage...but still, that's a good gauge. I drive mine about 35 miles one way to work...so roughly 65-70 a day after I pick my kid up from daycare...

you may not drive that far....or...like you said...may not get it going as fast or as far as mine.

It's very accurate....unless of course like it was said above...it's not 'heated' enough.....or you live in the dessert or whatever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts