Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 deville and My coolant light trips on about every 5 months just low enough for warning to come on and it is just on the fill line, add some and it is fine, now today I checked the oil and is is about 2 quarts low, dealership couldn't find the coolent leak, they changed the water pump. Is there any ideas out there what could be the problem could these two be related I didn't see any leaks underneath, gonna bring it in on wed.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Northstars do use oil. That is not a bad thing. Read up on it in the Technical Archive (upper left of this page. How many miles did it take to go down those two qts.?

DexCool will leave a whitish residue from leaks when it dries. Check the surge tank. It is not uncommon to have a leak there.

The two are probably not related.

·
Registered
2001 Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has 3k on it right now seems like a lot of oil (2Quarts) to have burned thru in only 3k miles but I'm not sure I will look for a whitish deposit

thanks

·
Super Moderator
86,783 Posts
That works out to a qt. every 1500 miles. That is not out of line for most engines, much less a Northstar.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Ranger said:
Northstars do use oil. That is not a bad thing. Read up on it in the Technical Archive (upper left of this page. How many miles did it take to go down those two qts.?

DexCool will leave a whitish residue from leaks when it dries. Check the surge tank. It is not uncommon to have a leak there.

The two are probably not related.
rangers right ...not that you need me to say ...but ive seen alot of surge tank failures at work ....might check it ...

you a tech or somethin ranger ? unbeliveable how much is in that noggin of yours

·
Super Moderator
86,783 Posts
Nah, just a shade tree like most everyone else here. I just enjoy this stuff and have the ability to remember most lessons learned (some the hard way) and what I have been taught by the master.:worship:

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Ranger said:
Nah, just a shade tree like most everyone else here. I just enjoy this stuff and have the ability to remember most lessons learned (some the hard way) and what I have been taught by the master.:worship:
i miss that guy :crying:

·
Super Moderator
86,783 Posts
I think he has been reincarnated in a very limited fashion but I won't blow his cover. I sure wish he could come out of the closet. He was such a wealth of knowledge. GM should have been paying him for all the good will he promoted and myths he debunked.

·
Registered
deville
8 Posts
Mr

read the tech articles it explains why the Norstar uses oil as all high performance engines do. It is mostly done in the ring seal to cylinder wall section. The honing on the cylinders is done in a fation that actually holds the oil there a tad loger than normal. This is good but uses a bit of oil. I have 2 caddys and both use 1 qt /1500miles and both do not leak a drop and you can see no visable oil being burned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts