Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. '05 3.6L 6spdMT, <13000 miles. REar end whine. Just started today after I launched hard, got some hop and hit a pothole in mid launch.
F F F ****! I really didn't think differential whine would be my Christmas gift....

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
I feel your pain. 2004 A5, 36 Mm on the clock, I'm getting a whine/moan on decel between 40-60 km/h. I don't know if I feel like waiting until my next service in the spring :(

So when they replace your rear-end, is it an improved model or just the same old garbage? Either way, I know I won't own this car past the warranty period.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
yeah i have an 03 and i'm starting to wonder about whine. i try to ignore it, but i think it's becoming an issue. i was hoping it would cooperate through winter...

same question: do they replace it with an equivalent "whatever is laying around" or what? i'm leary about after the warranty period also...luckily i have like 3 years left or 65k miles...the warranty has already payed for itself since i've had my car...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
One thing about warranty..you hope you never need it. I've been so lucky to go 22,000 mile and 25 months with no issues other than a steering sensor module. Have you tried turning the radio up?:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've seen a few threads on diferential whine during my short time on the forum. Has the failure rate been identified yet? Is it 100%?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
MileHighCTS said:
I've seen a few threads on diferential whine during my short time on the forum. Has the failure rate been identified yet? Is it 100%?
100% failure rate? Lord no. These are German made differentials but spec'ed out by GM/Cadillac. What really surprises me is Cadillac has made no effort to correct it. The CTS-V guys have been screaming at GM. All they did was help them with the wheel hop which contributed to the break down. I think some owners don't heed the warnings and still abuse their CTS with hi-rev launches.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
true, but come on, most of us drive spirited but in no way should that contribute to so many diff's going bad. especially not with todays engineering and technology. GM needs to get with the problem instead of masking it like corporations LOVE doing.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
has anyone had a breakdown ofwhat happens when the diff goes bad?

is it a high rpm issue causing the pinion to walk out of the gears and score the interior of the case?

for those that had failures, what did they say actually failed.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The Getrag 645 diff is only rated for 310 lb-ft of torque. The V puts out 400. Obviously thera are going to be problems there.

If you look at pictures (or look under the car) of the diff, the issue looks fairly clear to me. It's made of aluminum, and not very thick at that. It's a side loader, in that the ring gear and diff are loaded from one side and held in preload by the surrounding bolts, which aren't that big. Any flex to that side cover will introduce play in the gears and movement in the bearings. Compare it to a Ford 9" or any american differential for that matter, where the diff is held in place by two very large saddles and large bolts, and not the cover.

I've also heard of V drivers twisting off axle stubs in the housing. The diff isn't bad, IMHO, it's the application. We likely need a beefier diff for spirited driving, and the V needs one simply due to basic math. I've also heard that the '06 CTS-V has a beefier diff now, presumably with thicker side plates. I don't know if the CTS will get that design installed when they fail. They should have started with the Corvette design (Getrag 625) and adapted it to fit our rear mounting. It's rated for 405 lb-ft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts