Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just curious, what does the "ride control" system in the STS comprise itself of? It isnt the same nasty stuff that was in my old 96 continental is it? I dont see anything in the diagrams of the suspension of this car that shows any sort of air bags so it cant be that bad.

The reason I ask this is because one of the GM auto parts sites shows a "ride control" category for my year seville along with parts like "dryer, compressor" etc etc. These are the same sort of components in the Ford system. This IMO is the absolute worst contraption to hit cars ever(interesting not many foreign makes have this stupidity in their passenger vehicles,and if they do, its an OPTION and only on the rear wheels), it is just a total mess to fix and expensive.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Well you basically got it right.. It can be a mess.... But is better than the ford setup...

Basically the setup is just a strut that is controlled via air.... Normally they dont leak like the ford setup, but rather the electronics fail.....

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:( ...sigh

Thanks for giving me that little bit of solice at least.

elwesso said:
Well you basically got it right.. It can be a mess.... But is better than the ford setup...

Basically the setup is just a strut that is controlled via air.... Normally they dont leak like the ford setup, but rather the electronics fail.....

·
Registered
586 Posts
only really expensive part are the struts... they dont go bad every often or quickly. and there are kits to replace them with less expensive passive struts.

most place when you get a service ride message will tell you the at you need shocks, but usually you wont and only need a sensor.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AKPsiMC03 said:
they dont go bad every often or quickly. and there are kits to replace them with less expensive passive struts.
That is GREEAT news, that basically solves the rediculously stupid problem with Ford vehicles, you CANT get any sort of replacement at all UNLESS its a ford factory part, much less ever hope of replacing it with something passive. This is very very good to know if it is in fact the case.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I was under the impression that you couldnt get the sensors, as they were built into the assy. Maybe I was thinking of the actuators/solenoids?? It wouldnt be the first time I was wrong!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts