Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talked into upgrading my 04 base Escalade's radio from the regular cassette CD type radio to a touchscreen Nav radio from OEM-GM-Radios on eBay. My radio was toast. They seem to have a good reputation; however, I don't know whether I made the right decision with this radio even though I haven't received it yet. They are supposedly "New Other" on the listing, which I am assuming is rebuilt. I am hoping that the radio has its original programming in it, so I can upgrade to a 2012 Nav program, which is the latest for these. They come without a Nav disk. Does any one know about these? If so, can I buy an upgrade disk or do I need to find an original OEM programming disk that comes with this type radio from 2004. I'm think the later will be very hard to find, and I'm not sure which of these programming disks I need to buy. Any help with this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
94 Posts
You are better off with returning what you purchased and find a Cyber Monday (today) deal for a new double din head unit from the yellow big box retailer. You are correct that OEM DVD based navigation head units from our model years are only upgrade-able thru 2012. From a tech perspective, having/relying on a navigation system that is only current thru 2012 just is not valuable and may not be safe/accurate if you intend to use it to travel. You have two good options here: you can upgrade to a head unit that has the built in Nav and it will come with all the other bells and whistles or you can upgrade to a head unit with Android Auto or Apple Car Play. With the latter, you will use your phones GPS capability and the radio will interface with it. Generally those are cheaper than the head units with Nav built in. The yellow big box retailer is now offering free installation and some good deals.

Good Luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are better off with returning what you purchased and find a Cyber Monday (today) deal for a new double din head unit from the yellow big box retailer. You are correct that OEM DVD based navigation head units from our model years are only upgrade-able thru 2012. From a tech perspective, having/relying on a navigation system that is only current thru 2012 just is not valuable and may not be safe/accurate if you intend to use it to travel. You have two good options here: you can upgrade to a head unit that has the built in Nav and it will come with all the other bells and whistles or you can upgrade to a head unit with Android Auto or Apple Car Play. With the latter, you will use your phones GPS capability and the radio will interface with it. Generally those are cheaper than the head units with Nav built in. The yellow big box retailer is now offering free installation and some good deals.

Good Luck
I took your advice and returned the radio. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,160 Posts
Like mentioned above, just upgrade to a aftermarket radio with Android Auto/Car Play.My Sony head unit is best thing I installed in my Caddy since I now have cleaner sound and upgraded navigation with a backup camera.

My Sony setup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts