Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or do these OEM front pads throw off an unusual amount of dust? It is really a nuisance, the wheels are filthy after a day's driving (and that's just the morning and evening commute).

Has anyone found replacement pads that aren't as messy?

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
doorknob said:
Is it me or do these OEM front pads throw off an unusual amount of dust? It is really a nuisance, the wheels are filthy after a day's driving (and that's just the morning and evening commute).

Has anyone found replacement pads that aren't as messy?
I've never had a problem with brake dust and I've got stock pads. Then again i've got an 03, maybe the 06 has different ones.

·
Registered
CTS
531 Posts
Lots of brake dust.. but then I've seen alot worse! It is mostly due to bigger brakes. Because my mothers CTS does not have the sport package, she has very little brake dust residue.

Funny topic cause, I got tired of watching all this hurricane crap and decided to clean the rims/wheels I use to race with. I do not think any amount of cleaner will get them cleaned. :)

Well off to play more X-Box.. I'm off tomorrow down here we don't get snow days we get hurricane days :( So, I'm brushing up on Forza Motorsports.. :) Nothing like a C5R powered CTS-V!!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
PAW 47 said:
Lots of brake dust.. but then I've seen alot worse! It is mostly due to bigger brakes. Because my mothers CTS does not have the sport package, she has very little brake dust residue.

Funny topic cause, I got tired of watching all this hurricane crap and decided to clean the rims/wheels I use to race with. I do not think any amount of cleaner will get them cleaned. :)

Well off to play more X-Box.. I'm off tomorrow down here we don't get snow days we get hurricane days :( So, I'm brushing up on Forza Motorsports.. :) Nothing like a C5R powered CTS-V!!
How dare you make me start thinking about video games at a time like this!!! BTW, how much HP you got in that V? I built up an insane amount of credits and maxed out all the mods, but I dont remeber exactly where that put me. I do remember it made it almost impossible to drive though!!!:burn:

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
I belive the "high performance brake linings" that come with the sport package are the cause, only people that seem to have issues with the brake dust are sport package peeps. You could try Rejex, it's like a wax for rims, i've heard good things.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AsAkAs said:
I belive the "high performance brake linings" that come with the sport package are the cause, only people that seem to have issues with the brake dust are sport package peeps. You could try Rejex, it's like a wax for rims, i've heard good things.
Thanks, I'll look for that. I do have the 17" wheel sport package so maybe it is the brake option that comes with that. My wife's STS doesn't seem to generate as much brake dust, and I do not abuse the brakes, just the usual stop and go commuting.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I too had a lot of brake dust. Destroys the look of chrome wheels in a hurry.
Here's what I did. I bought a bottle of Rejex and I bought Hawks Ceramic pads. Ceramic pads are designed specifically for low dust. I got mine at www.thetirerack.com I've been very pleased. PJEsquire did the same thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RobertCTS said:
I too had a lot of brake dust. Destroys the look of chrome wheels in a hurry.
Here's what I did. I bought a bottle of Rejex and I bought Hawks Ceramic pads. Ceramic pads are designed specifically for low dust. I got mine at www.thetirerack.com I've been very pleased. PJEsquire did the same thing.
Are the pads a DIY project or do I need to have a tire shop install them?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
doorknob said:
Are the pads a DIY project or do I need to have a tire shop install them?
Pads are an easy DIY assuming your rotors aren't warped or scored badly. They pop out and you drop the new ones in. I think this is in the FAQ section for more help.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Brake dust comes with agressive driving. If you're not on the brakes there is little dust. Drivers with the sport package do sporty driving and get more dust.
Look down the road ahead and anticipate stops and reductions in speed. Gear down and use engine braking, especially with an automatic. In other words drive like a professional. The solution to all problems is not neccessarily high tech. Sometimes it's just common sense and maturity.

·
Registered
63 Posts
dkozloski said:
Brake dust comes with agressive driving. If you're not on the brakes there is little dust. Drivers with the sport package do sporty driving and get more dust.
Look down the road ahead and anticipate stops and reductions in speed. Gear down and use engine braking, especially with an automatic. In other words drive like a professional. The solution to all problems is not neccessarily high tech. Sometimes it's just common sense and maturity.
Brake dust is a combination of your style of driving and the pad material. However I agree with others that this is primarily caused by the sport package having a "dustier" pad than the non-sport pads. My CTS has the sport package and I've noticed that brake dust on it. I've had many different types of pads in my Corvette since I go through a set of pads in about 2 days of track driving. As you get to more agressive pads (especially race pads), you get much more brake dust. I agree with Robert that if you want the lowest possible dust, go to ceramic pads, but be aware that they could possibly reduce your brake performance. BTW, pads are a compromise between performance and dust/noise. You can't get low dust, low noise, and high performance.

- Mark

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Here's a write up on the Hawk Ceramic Pads:

Hawk Performance introduces a unique ceramic composite formulation specifically developed to meet the ultra-low dust and low noise attributes of Original Equipment ceramic brake pads while maintaining the high friction levels professional brake tuners have grown to expect from Hawk Performance. Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads do not compromise performance and offer a solution to many consumers' number one complaint: DUST! Performance Ceramic Brake Pads also feature a fade resistant, linear friction profile that allows your ABS brake system to work more effectively.
Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads — Quiet, Clean, Safe and Fast Stopping.
Key Features & Benefits of Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads
  • Ultra-low dust
  • Improved braking over OE
  • Stable friction output
  • Extremely quiet
  • Extended pad life
  • Increased rotor life
Brake pads are wear items and as such, should be inspected regularly and replaced as necessary. Pads should be replaced when approximately 1/8th inch of friction material remains on the steel backing plate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't believe everything the marketing people say. Hawk makes an entire line of brake pads from ceramic to very agresive race pads. I use Hawk HPS pads on my Corvette for normal street driving (which I like very much). I've used their race pads on the track. I know people that have used Hawk's ceramic pads on the track and they didn't like them at all.

Now there's a very big difference between street driving and track driving. You will probably never have a problem on the street with a ceramic pad. But they will not stand up to repeated braking from high to low speeds. They will tend to fade as they get really hot.

- Mark

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Mark VerMurlen said:
Don't believe everything the marketing people say. Hawk makes an entire line of brake pads from ceramic to very agresive race pads. I use Hawk HPS pads on my Corvette for normal street driving (which I like very much). I've used their race pads on the track. I know people that have used Hawk's ceramic pads on the track and they didn't like them at all.
Now there's a very big difference between street driving and track driving. You will probably never have a problem on the street with a ceramic pad. But they will not stand up to repeated braking from high to low speeds. They will tend to fade as they get really hot.
- Mark
It's information Mark. Some members know little of Ceramic pads and this was an effort to help them. I don't think any of us are seriously or competitively racing our Cadillacs. Hawk has non ceramic pads designed for racing applications.

Glad to see you too are driving a Corvette. What year?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dkozloski said:
I appreciate your attempt at "analyzing" my driving style but you really have no clue. I drive my C5 aggressively but have not had the brake dust problems, apparently because of the pad material. My CTS is my daily driver, commuting roughly 30-45 minutes each way in heavy traffic at speeds that average 30-40 MPH. I know about aggressive driving, and especially aggressive use of the brakes.

And, gee, I never thought to look ahead and anticipate traffic, what a novel idea. I guess that will come with maturity and common sense, huh? It may be too late for me, I'm 59 and don't plan to mature much more. :)

I'm going to look into the Hawk ceramic pads, I'm not looking for high performance from my CTS brakes. Now the C5, that is certainly a different situation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
RobertCTS said:
It's information Mark. Some members know little of Ceramic pads and this was an effort to help them. I don't think any of us are seriously or competitively racing our Cadillacs. Hawk has non ceramic pads designed for racing applications.

Glad to see you too are driving a Corvette. What year?
I've got a 2002 coupe that I like to use for autocrossing and high speed track days. I'm not very good at autocrossing yet, but I absolutely love high speed track days and I've gotten fairly good at it. One of the main reasons I bought a CTS is that I went out to the Bondurant School of High Performance driving last April. I specifically went there to drive their Corvettes. The instructors drove 6 cyl. CTSs with manual transmissions for teaching since you can get more than 1 student in with them. I was so impressed with the the way the CTSs drove that I wanted one. So I ended up buying a CTS primarily for my wife to drive this past August. It really is a great handling car and you would probably be surprised how well it would do on the track (road track that is). But I certainly understand that most people will never put their CTS on the track. (I probably won't either.)

You are right that this is a good medium for people to learn about ceramic pads as well as other pads. Because most people don't change pads very often, its hard to get lots of comparisons and relying on the experience of others can be very beneficial. I just want to warn people that there is no "perfect" brake pad out there. I've tried for over 4 years now to find a pad that I liked both on the street and on the track and I haven't found it (and I've tried server different pads). So any time someone tells you they've found the perfect pad, that may be true for them and their driving style but not for you. So don't be afraid to question them about it and they also shouldn't be afraid to tell you about the negatives that come with their "perfect" pad.

For those that wonder why high performance pads generate a lot of dust, I've learned from reading studies that its because the breaking of the chemical bonds that holds the pad material together absorbs energy. So the car's kinetic energy isn't just being shed in the form of heat, but also in a chemical breakdown.

- Mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, I've had the Hawk pads for four days now...city, commute and highway driving. So far I see no deterioration in braking BUT I see a significant reduction in brake dust on my front wheels. I took Akasas advice and polished the new wheels with Rejex as well.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i think i'll end up getting the hawk pads but i wanted to wait until i can spot for the cross drilled/slotted rotors and do it all at the same time. hopefully these pads will get me through the winter...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
doorknob said:
Okay, I've had the Hawk pads for four days now...city, commute and highway driving. So far I see no deterioration in braking BUT I see a significant reduction in brake dust on my front wheels. I took Akasas advice and polished the new wheels with Rejex as well.

Thanks for the tips, guys.
Yep, another invaluable tip from our Forum!:yup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
Re: Cross drilled and slotted rotors

One comment about cross drilled and slotted rotors: I bought them for my last car because I wanted absolute maximum braking efficiency and power. Everything was well and good for 20,000 miles until it came time to turn the rotors. If you were not already aware, many mechanics refuse to turn slotted rotors for fear of damaging their expensive machining equipment. Until that time, this was the first I had heard of the issue so I was very disappointed to be forced to choose between replacing my high performance slotted/cross-drilled rotors with stock rotors or spending more cash for another set of performance rotors.

This is not to say I did not enjoy the performance rotors when I had them, I did, a lot! But, based on that experience it is a lot cheaper short and long term to invest in performance brake pads over performance rotors. Replacing performance pads is relatively cheap as compared to replacing rotors every time they warp. My performance rotors did last longer than my stock brake rotors, I will freely admit, but weighing the cost of aftermarket pads versus aftermarket rotors, you are really better off going with performance pads unless you are running your CTS on the track on weekends. I somehow doubt that more than a handful of members ever take their CTS's anywhere near the track.

Back to the topic at hand, yes, the sport package brakes kick out a ton of dust! But, they stop really nicely, too. You have to accept the good with the bad. I have one out of town customer that always takes at least an hour to reach. Most of the trip is on the highway, but one insane community dropped a street light in the middle of a state highway, that just so happens to have a 70mph speed limit. I do not visit that customer often, but every time I do I have to do the 80-0 emergency braking maneuver. The stock brakes do it without qualm or question, at the price of a ton of brake dust. I will take the blackened wheels over an intersection collision or running a red light ticket any day!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts