Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Escalade. When I purchased it, the odometer read 102489 mi. I noticed today, when I was at the gas pump, that the trip A reads 185466.5 mi. And trip B reads 185105.5 mi. How is this possible to have the trip meter be higher than the total odometer? Have I been scammed by the dealer?

12,776 Posts
Hello dgill3,

I apologize that it seems that the odometer and the trip meter are off. I would like to contact the dealership on your behalf regarding this issue. Please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, dealership that you have purchased the vehicle from, and the name of the person you have been in contact with at the dealership. Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to assisting you with this concern.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
dgill3 said:
I just bought a 2005 Escalade. When I purchased it, the odometer read 102489 mi. I noticed today, when I was at the gas pump, that the trip A reads 185466.5 mi. And trip B reads 185105.5 mi. How is this possible to have the trip meter be higher than the total odometer? Have I been scammed by the dealer?
I don't see how this is possible unless the cluster and a few
Modules are swapped

·
Registered
2012 Escalade
511 Posts
Yes they can be reset... thus can only be LOWER than the actual odometer. I would contact the dealer and see whats the heck is going on........

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
Just FYI....a dealer cannot reprogram the mileage using a GM Tech 2. If it could...we would all be driving low mileage cream puffs. The mileage is stored in the IPC. The IPC needs to be sent out to a Delco radio/speedometer repair facility for repair or replacement or adjustment of mileage.

That said...there are laptop systems being sold that claim to be able to change the mileage via the OBDII port. I personally have not seen it done.

Interesting problem. Hard to believe the trip mileage has never been reset during the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Logandiagnostic said:
Just FYI....a dealer cannot reprogram the mileage using a GM Tech 2. If it could...we would all be driving low mileage cream puffs. The mileage is stored in the IPC. The IPC needs to be sent out to a Delco radio/speedometer repair facility for repair or replacement or adjustment of mileage.

That said...there are laptop systems being sold that claim to be able to change the mileage via the OBDII port. I personally have not seen it done.

Interesting problem. Hard to believe the trip mileage has never been reset during the life of the vehicle.
Not from what I have heard but I think its not allowed by gm

As far as the trip meter most people probably have no clue its even on the vehicle or don't know how to reset/use it

As far as the mileage I don't think it is just stored in the cluster as I was told after the dealer replaced me PCM that it read zero before reverting to the real mileage(this was told by the service manager and verified by the service tech who did the work)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This is from the GM service manual:

"The IPC displays the vehicle mileage and trip mileage as determined by the IPC. The IPC calculates the mileage based on the vehicle speed signal circuit from the powertrain control module (PCM). The odometer will display 'error' if an internal IPC memory failure is detected. The odometer can be configured to display either miles or kilometers."

I guess if you want to believe the dealer you can...I'll stand by the fact that the mileage is stored in the IPC.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Logandiagnostic said:
This is from the GM service manual:

"The IPC displays the vehicle mileage and trip mileage as determined by the IPC. The IPC calculates the mileage based on the vehicle speed signal circuit from the powertrain control module (PCM). The odometer will display 'error' if an internal IPC memory failure is detected. The odometer can be configured to display either miles or kilometers."

I guess if you want to believe the dealer you can...I'll stand by the fact that the mileage is stored in the IPC.
Odd how they told me that

I had a Chrysler Concorde that was like that where the mileage wasn't stored in the cluster but in the bcm and PCM so I guess its different then what the guys at my gm dealer know

Can you elaborate on how the mileage show up right after they changed the PCM in my truck then

FYI I have a gm service manual also(same as the gm dealers use)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am not going to speculate on what the dealer said or did to your truck.

If you have the service manuals...you should be able to go look it up. This is more info from the GM service manual: Re: Cluster replacement.

"The odometer information must be transferred to the replacement instrument panel cluster (IPC). The odometer information has to be programmed in the new IPC using IPC SETUP in Service Programming System (SPS). The IPC also needs to be calibrated using Service Programming System (SPS)."

Many GM modules are a one shot deal...after the original programming...they are locked to the car for life.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Logandiagnostic said:
I am not going to speculate on what the dealer said or did to your truck.

If you have the service manuals...you should be able to go look it up. This is more info from the GM service manual: Re: Cluster replacement.

"The odometer information must be transferred to the replacement instrument panel cluster (IPC). The odometer information has to be programmed in the new IPC using IPC SETUP in Service Programming System (SPS). The IPC also needs to be calibrated using Service Programming System (SPS)."

Many GM modules are a one shot deal...after the original programming...they are locked to the car for life.
I remember something like that being mentioned before online when I had issues with my Chrysler where someone had to swap out all three modules (PCM, bcm and another one) to fix a issue(they were used modules not new)

I do know that the vin is programmed into each module(radio and amp are exempt as they can be reprogrammed)) and can't be reprogrammed once the vin is programmed(hence why I never had the issue in my previous car fixed)

The dealer did have to recalibrate the cluster in my truck after they replaced the PCM but they did tell the mileage didn't show up for at least a half hour afterward (they record the miles for the parts warrenty)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just purchased a used 2018 Escalade and the odometer read 17,815 but I noticed today that both trip meters showed around over 27k. Unfortunately I reset them both before getting a picture or documenting it. Should I contact the dealer or Cadillac?
Thank you!

Hello dgill3,

I apologize that it seems that the odometer and the trip meter are off. I would like to contact the dealership on your behalf regarding this issue. Please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, dealership that you have purchased the vehicle from, and the name of the person you have been in contact with at the dealership. Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to assisting you with this concern.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,281 Posts
We just purchased a used 2018 Escalade and the odometer read 17,815 but I noticed today that both trip meters showed around over 27k. Unfortunately I reset them both before getting a picture or documenting it. Should I contact the dealer or Cadillac?
Thank you!
Why did you not take a picture and document the issue? Pictures would have been proof that you may have purchased a vehicle under a false description which could lower the vehicle value(27k vs. 17k miles) or indicate that you may a purchased a vehicle that has been tampered with.

So what is the plan? Tell them(dealers) this information based solely on your observation that you conveniently did not take proof of so that they will act on your word alone?

Personally, I would just roll with it since you did not take any proof of the issue to warrant a formal complaint if there really was an issue to address.

Always take pictures of issues for proof especially on used cars that could be returned due to evidence of fraud like incorrect mileage listed on an engine or drive-train. However, mostly likely the engine was replaced for some reason so you may have a newer engine in your ride so you may have won out in that regard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, Yeah I just wasn't thinking at the time and should have taken a picture or video. Even if it is really about 10k more for some reason, we still think we got it for a good price for pretty low mileage and actually get more warranty out of it mileage wise because of it and still have the new vehicle warranty too.

My husband basically said the same too (to just roll with it).

Definitely will remember to document it or any other issues next time though!

·
Registered
2004 ESV
768 Posts
Check the carfax report. You can get a report for less than $5. This should show if there is an odometer discrepancy.

www.autovhr.com/deal

I've pulled a few reports from there to check on past cars I've owned. I found the link from the Auto Auction Rebuilds channel I follow on YouTube. I pay with PayPal, so no CC info is passed along.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,281 Posts
Thanks, Yeah I just wasn't thinking at the time and should have taken a picture or video. Even if it is really about 10k more for some reason, we still think we got it for a good price for pretty low mileage and actually get more warranty out of it mileage wise because of it and still have the new vehicle warranty too.

My husband basically said the same too (to just roll with it).

Definitely will remember to document it or any other issues next time though!
No problem. Remember that a picture can make a big difference in winning a case or not. People lie, pictures do not. Enjoy your new Caddy!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts