Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the cluster is disconnected, does the odometer still clock? I have a feeling mine may have had the cluster replaced, and I need to know if a new one is put in, does it re-calcuate the miles accordingly? I want to be sure my odom is correct. Is there a way to dis-engage it? I think it's pretty tamper proof...

·
Registered
2006 Light Platinum STS-V - 2005 Black Raven CTS-V (gone)
277 Posts
Mileage is stored in the cluster, so it's possible to "defeat" the odometer or fool an unsuspecting buyer by making a little swaparoo. Look for any sign that the cluster surround has been removed... you might want to pull it yourself and inspect the cluster for fingerprints. The part number label on the back has a date code which should also match the production year of your car.

I really don't think the PCM will recognize a cluster swap, and I'm doubtful the vehicle mileage is recorded in the PCM (but it's worth a shot). StealthV might confirm this since he's likely probed every table in the PCM.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
I think with our cars the mileage is stored in the PCM, not the cluster. I recall someone swapping the cluster and it remembered the car's mileage. No adjustment was necessary.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,706 Posts
Mileage is stored in the IPC, not the PCM. I swapped a PCM and the milesage stayed. A new or replacement cluster will have to be mated via a Tech2. Not sure if the car is fricanle without the cluster attached though.

Norm

·
Registered
CTS-V
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So would the car run without the cluster hooked up? The car came with low miles on it, but the suspension looks like it may have had alot more...

·
Registered
07 Cadillac CTS-V
15 Posts
I know that Corvette's run fine with the cluster unplugged. Just no speedo. The tachometer still works. To clear the air, no I've never done this to any of my cars. But we all know someone who has done things like this. BTW, my friend has a "low mileage" 98 Vette that he is selling.:thumbsup:j/k

·
Registered
05CTS V
195 Posts
You might check to see if the history of the car reveals it was on an onstar VD plan. I get monthly readouts on mileage. They can probably check the historicals if it was activated.

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
I dont care about doing it to my V, but it would have been nice to do to the rental cars that you pay by the mile (Ferrari's, Lambos, etc...).

I think the cluster will know the mileage regardless if it is new or old. I was looking into this oil temp sensor issue I had a while ago, and I think I read that one solution was to replace the cluster. Perhaps the tech's reprogram the mileage in there, but I think its stored somewhere else.

·
Registered
CTS-V
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard if you unplug it, the car runs fine and it doesnt add mileage... If thats the case I have to bring it in and have it checked out... I need a tune up anyways!

BTW - does anyone still have the kits to change the ashtray into guages? I thought I saw that somewhere??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts