Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my Deville lost its cruise control - the basic circuit was still operational but the set/resume switch would not trigger the "cruise" light to illuminate. I initially assumed it might be the cruise control cutout switch on the brake pedal, but I also noticed that the shift indicator would now only illuminate for "park", "neutral" and for "3" but did not indicate for "reverse" and "drive". I've experienced having the cruise control not engage if the column shift was slightly off to one side of "drive". Moving the shifter slightly was sufficient to reengage cruise control, but not this time. When I pulled the DTC, and the following are current codes:

PCM P1823
IPM B0149
RIM C0660

The IPM code is a known issue regarding the A/C and is not a concern. The RIM C0660 is related to the vehicle leveling system and again is not a big issue, yet.

When I took the car to work this morning I experienced jarring shifts of the transmission in all forward gears that I thought were related to low transmission fluid. The fluid levels were within normal limits. The jarring shifts do not occur during deceleration, only acceleration.

It seems like the PCM P1823 code suggests that the shift lever and perhaps some sensor which detects its position might be the cause, which would also explain the failure of the cruise control to engage. The cruise control fuse was intact when checked. The car has 125,000 miles on it and the transmission reports about 30% life remaining. The Northstar engine was replaced 25,000 miles ago by a qualified mechanic and all the fluids changed.

At this point I don't want to get snookered into a complete transmission rebuild if the problem is just a bad sensor. The lack of an indicator on the LED display for reverse and drive, but yet one is present for park, neutral and "3" suggests the computer isn't receiving correct data from the shift lever for some or all positions, but that's just an educated guess.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I did get a blank display (no gas gauge, MPG, and trip odometer went to hyphens. Then all the "Service Air Bag", "Service..." etc. cycled through, indicating a network fault of some kind that occasionally hits during very hot weather in Florida. It typically clears itself after several minutes of being shut off. There are a lot of U codes (History) suggesting maybe a bad connection - data parity failure - somewhere. I'm gonna leave this one to the pros since I suspect that the IMS (part 942) may require some adjustment to get right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts