Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon STP Octane Booster. Will this hurt any? I'm going to be running it ('96 STS) hard against another car soon and need to ensure I perform my best. Any other race tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance. :)

Product Description:

Helps Restore Horsepower

Use Every Tank
This 2-in-1 formula boosts octane and cleans fuel intake system to restore lost performance.

STP® Octane Booster helps:
  • Restore lost performance
  • Remove deposits which cause knock and ping, hesitation and stumble
  • Stop knock and ping
Usage Frequency:
Use Regularly when you fill up.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
SNAKE OIL!
The only thing it will hurt is your wallet. The only thing it will help is theirs. It will raise the octane by about .1%. Just use premium and you won't get any spark retardation. More octane does not mean more power.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
If there isn't any ethanol in the fuel where you live, a bottle of fuel injector cleaner might be good every 20k miles or so. With E10 you're getting a steady dosage of ethanol, which is a fuel injector cleaner of sorts. If you use too much fuel injector cleaners, fuel additives or whatnot, expect to have to change your fuel pump as well as other fuel related parts.

The best additive I know of is actually Techron. I don't speak from experience though. All I'm going by is reviews.

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
Be careful about using NOS fuel additive

>> http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570 <<

:histeric: I just thought that link fit here.
Oh. My. Freaking. God.

I just read up to page 5 in that forum.

Some stupid kid on a crotch-rocket, thinking he's Mr.Cool, went to a gas station after his bike was running a bit whack. He walked inside, saw a bottle labelled NOS, bought two of them, and then poured them in his gas tank.

His bike ran like crap all the way home, then died.

This would be bad enough if it were the NOS Brand Fuel Additive - two bottles of that stuff would be overkill for the gas tank on a Hummer H1. Needless to say, it would seriously mess up this kid's bike.

But it wasn't NOS Fuel Additive.

It was this:

And this dumbass poured TWO bottles in his gas tank.

Confirms what I've always thought about ricers, crotch-rocket racers (most of 'em, anyway), and anyone who thinks they're cool.

Wow. :histeric:

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
So thats why I've gone through 5 fuel filters in the last 2 months......

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,483 Posts
Talamant3z, Although it's been posted in Northstar performance about a skrillion times, Google "chevron techron" and "top tier gasoline". Read up on what's good for gasoline and what's snake oil.

Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive at the top of the page in the black bar. ^^^

Find the GM Technical Service Bulletin (again, posted in Northstar performance) regarding fuel additives and octane ratings.

As Ranger said, the so-called Octane Boosters are nothing more than petroleum distillate (dyed paint thinner) additives which raise octane a point or so - not a unit, a point, as in 87.0 to 87.1.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
oh i have used the techron its pricey but i like it. and the shell v-power additive i liked i never buy the cheap stp or other brands.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
Oh. My. Freaking. God.

I just read up to page 5 in that forum.

Some stupid kid on a crotch-rocket, thinking he's Mr.Cool, went to a gas station after his bike was running a bit whack. He walked inside, saw a bottle labelled NOS, bought two of them, and then poured them in his gas tank.

His bike ran like crap all the way home, then died.

This would be bad enough if it were the NOS Brand Fuel Additive - two bottles of that stuff would be overkill for the gas tank on a Hummer H1. Needless to say, it would seriously mess up this kid's bike.

But it wasn't NOS Fuel Additive.

It was this:

And this dumbass poured TWO bottles in his gas tank.

Confirms what I've always thought about ricers, crotch-rocket racers (most of 'em, anyway), and anyone who thinks they're cool.

Wow. :histeric:
hey do make a nos octane booster though seen it at autozone

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
I gained a solid tenth of a second in the 1/8 mile putting an octane booster in my 1999 Z28 Camaro. Went from a 8.69 to an 8.60, 8.59, 8.59, 8.60 with that stuff. Granted I had about 1/4 tank of gas in the car when I put it in(empty tank=less weight=faster car)

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac SLS
139 Posts
The only reason to run higher octane is to eliminate pinging or knock.

When I was running 24psi of boost in my Buick Turbo Regal (using 93 octane street gas) I did two things to get the octane rating up--'cause 93 octane isn't enough for 24psi of boost.

1. I mixed 5 gallons of Xylene (Xylol brand) into 10 gallons of 93 octane and added a cup of Marvel Mystery Oil for lubrication. 30% Xylene will boost octane from 93 to about 100 or so. Xylene is very "dry" so you need the additional lubrication of a little MMO to prevent damage to your fuel pump. This mix also cleans fuel injectors etc. Xylene was pretty expensive the last time I bought any, which was over a year ago. About $48 for 5 gallons.

2. I built and installed an alcohol injection system. This sprayed a fine mist of alcohol into the up-pipe just before the throttle body. The alcohol cooled the air intake even more than the intercooler could and helped eliminate knock.

Neither the higher octane mix or the alcohol injection on their own could eliminate knock at 24psi of boost, but together they did a pretty good job. Best 1/4 mile time was 12.34.

On the other hand, our Cadillacs are happy with 91 octane. As previously stated, octane does not equal power. Octane prevents pre-ignition. Eliminating pre-ignition lets your engine make as much power as it's designed to make (assuming it's also in good tune), but won't help make MORE power. The only way to make more power is to force more fuel and more air into the cylinders.

Your best bet is a tune-up, clean air and fuel filters, and 91-93 octane.

Keith

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
On the octane booster, I've used many of them over the years and I have to say that none of them felt like they did anything until more recently. Actually this was about a year ago now. In Wal-Mart I picked up the Dale Earnhardt Octane Booster.

This is not placebo effect, this stuff made a noticeable performance difference. Of course I haven't seen it since.

As far as injector cleaner Techron is probably one of the best ones available.

Use with caution. Follow the instruction and do NOT over dose. Injector cleaners are very strong solvents and will ruin injector windings and fuel pumps. I wouldn't use cleaners unless you're having a problem or maybe once a year or every 18 months as a preventative. Any more than that you're taking a chance. No more than the recommended dose either.

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
SNAKE OIL!
The only thing it will hurt is your wallet. The only thing it will help is theirs. It will raise the octane by about .1%. Just use premium and you won't get any spark retardation. More octane does not mean more power.
Thats anoshitter, mechanic in a can ..kinda like smoke be gone..lol want to boost your octane buy raceing fuel at the airport and leave that junk on the autozone shelve..

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,483 Posts
The bottom line is that higher octane fuels DO NOT increase horsepower. The higher octanes retard cylinder flame travel (slow down the combustion process) so the engine can tolerate higher throttle loads without knocks or pings. Higher octane fuels allow you to increase ignition advance in response to increased compression ratios or head modifications, carb/injector work, or air/fuel ratio changes.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
It's a loosing battle Sub. As long as the marketing guru's at Amoco, BP and the others keep touting high octane = cleaner engine and more power line, the general public will equate octane with power. What ever happened to truth in advertising?

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Thats anoshitter, mechanic in a can ..kinda like smoke be gone..lol want to boost your octane buy raceing fuel at the airport and leave that junk on the autozone shelve..
Where did you get that avatar? Its freaking awesome. Looks like a scene from the Pink Floyd movie The Wall.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts