Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 cts has an occasional problem where it takes a second to really go into drive out of reverse, but straight out of park also (a bit of a clunk). I noticed there a couple times around 40 mph that the rpms fluctuate and shifts really strangely. It does this especially in sports mode when I get around that 40mph mark - high rpm and feels like it shifts into a higher gear and then shifts back down.

This vehicle is a lot different than other cars I've had so I can't quite figure out whats going on and I need to know before I take it to the dealer (which is going to replace my rear differential when my GMPP goes into affect in a few weeks).

So what I'd like to know from you guys are the questions they will ask me. I know that it usually takes twice going to a dealer to get the problem fixed so I want to be ready for questions and to simulate the conditions when I am test driving it with the tech (which is a great mechanic and guy btw). Knowing all the details really helped me out in the case of the rear differential. Which he said btw is caused by bearings in the housing that lose their coating.

I tried to search the forums and didn't have any luck. Thank you guys in advance!

·
Registered
2003 Garnet Red CTS Luxury Sport
24 Posts
I had a problem with my 03 downshifting into low at stop signs, etc especially in cold weather. I took mine to the dealer where I purchased and they suggested that I reload the software that controls the learning for the transmission. I had the job done although the weather was warmer. Not sure how the transmission will act when the temperature drops. The cost was around $90. Obviously, I'm not sure this would help but it's a pretty cheap transmission fix.

Possibly, depending on the mileage, a transmission filter / fluid change would help.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when I go up there for the rear I will make sure 100% that they check it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac ATS Premium - Phantom Gray / Morello Red - 18,250 mi.
135 Posts
...it takes a second to really go into drive out of reverse....
I can confirm this. My '04 takes an extra second to get from R to D. I haven't noticed the other things you've mentioned, specifically, but I have noticed odd shift changes at times. Can't pin down exactly when it happens, though.

I haven't taken it in to a dealer, nor asked anyone about it.

Very strange, and while it's not a big nuisance, I don't like it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
I can confirm this. My '04 takes an extra second to get from R to D. QUOTE]

I've noticed the same thing. I kinda chalked it up to the TC.
i thought i remember reading that you couldn't "rock" back and forth from rev-drive to get unstuck from snow (or whatever) with the traction conttrol.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac ATS Premium - Phantom Gray / Morello Red - 18,250 mi.
135 Posts
...i thought i remember reading that you couldn't "rock" back and forth from rev-drive to get unstuck from snow (or whatever) with the traction control....
Interesting. I've not heard of that issue. Maybe I'll try rocking back and forth with TC and without TC to see if I can notice a different.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
340 Posts
u both will end up with new differentials...i wouldn't advise this at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts