Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one I've never seen nor heard of. Occasionally, with no rhyme or reason, my 47K mile 2000 DTS leaks oil. I can smell it burning at a stop light, and it leaves a 12" mark on my driveway when parked over night. Then nothing, as in NO leaks or smells for a week or more. Has anyone ever heard of an occasional leak ??????

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Welcome Aboard !!!

Have you opened the hood and, using a good flashlight, tried to find the source ? A good-sized puddle of oil has to leave a mark where it came from. Suspect the oil filter adapter or the oil pressure sending switch.

IF the leak is slow and constant I'd guess that the driveway mark is the result of the puddled oil occasionally dripping off the engine or lower air deflector panel during slight incline parking. If you can smell hot oil then that points to cam cover gaskets - the oil weeps up top, gets to an exhaust manifold, and some of it burns off.

·
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Aboard !!!

Have you opened the hood and, using a good flashlight, tried to find the source ? A good-sized puddle of oil has to leave a mark where it came from. Suspect the oil filter adapter or the oil pressure sending switch.

IF the leak is slow and constant I'd guess that the driveway mark is the result of the puddled oil occasionally dripping off the engine or lower air deflector panel during slight incline parking. If you can smell hot oil then that points to cam cover gaskets - the oil weeps up top, gets to an exhaust manifold, and some of it burns off.
I get a definite oil smell some of the time, but not all the time. I too suspect the cam covers. I've never had a motor` leak occasionally. It gets parked in exactly the same flat place each time, but your "puddling" on the deflector is a very interesting concept. It will go up on the rack Thur. Thanks for your ideas.

·
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get a definite oil smell some of the time, but not all the time. I too suspect the cam covers. I've never had a motor` leak occasionally. It gets parked in exactly the same flat place each time, but your "puddling" on the deflector is a very interesting concept. It will go up on the rack Thur. Thanks for your ideas.

You were exactly correct,,,,cam cover gaskets. Miserable job accomplished.
THANK YOU !

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
You're welcome. We hope you replaced the spark plug well O-ring seals - they too weep over time. "Normal".

The 8 big rings ........

247_VICTOR REINZ_VS50331_1__ra_p.jpg

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
The additive tablets were discontinued by GM/Cadillac in 2006. There is a TSB on that. Don't use them.

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
How many tablets did you use ? 3 or less was the spec. If the coolant appears clean and clear I would forget it and simply do an exchange in 3 years or so. If the coolant appears cloudy or has lumps in it, then bite the bullet and do another flush/exchange.

Open this and scroll down to "Sealing Tablets" - http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/00-06-02-006c.pdf

GM/Cadillac never updated the service manuals or radiator sight shields to reflect the tablet change TSB. The only way an owner would know is if a dealership told them or they were a member of this website. You might want to read all the stickies (marked with a push pin) n the Engines; Northstar forum. The info is in there.

Here's what DEX-COOL looks like without the tablets in it. The coolant in this jug is about 3 years old, siphoned out of the surge tank.

2 quarts coolant 3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Your coolant will appear slightly brownish because of the tabs. Personally, I'd just leave well enough alone til the next coolant change. A couple of tabs ain't gonna hurt anything.

·
Registered
1993 sedan deville
30 Posts
I keep seeing the do not use the tabs anymore. Does this only apply to the Northstar engines or is it all engines that used those tablets.
I have a 93 Deville with the 4.9 Aluminum block cast iron heads. Use or Not use?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
ALL engines. Do not use them as regular maintenance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts