Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Black Cts-V
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a set of obx headers & the drivers side one leaks where the primaries meet the collector...can't get a welder down there between the tubes to fill the 1/16" holes...and can't get ahold of OBX or "racing parts depot" which is one and the same companies. Anybody near oakdale, california want to go knock on their door for me?

I've tried every phone number & only person I got ahold of was the guy that does the shipping for them. If you want customer support I suggest you go elsewhere, wish I would have got some pacesetters from marylandspeed.

Worst comes to worst I'll cut the collector off and reweld inside then weld the collector back on. Oh and of course the headers hit the steering shaft. Other than this leaking business, the headers appear to be well made.

heres a another story about their great customer service on another product.
http://forums.nasioc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1783258

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,292 Posts
You can get a couple of guys out of Youngstown, Ohio that for $500 and expenses witl make them an offer they can't refuse.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
You might find an exhaust shop that has a flexible mig gun. The may be able to snake the gun in the collector.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
60 Posts
That sucks but welcome to the world of car parts. I've have my share of bad parts from some of the most reputable companies but still rare. Headers hitting the steering shaft is common as well. Seems exhaust works always requires fab work unfortunately!

·
Banned
Olds Aurora
199 Posts
cars suck. next car i buy is gonna be 300 bucks, and when it breaks i just throw it in the garbage and buy a new 300 dollar car.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
298 Posts
How did you pay them?

Paypal?

Start a dispute.

Get your money back...and tell them if they want their headers back, send you a shipping label.

·
Registered
2005 Black Cts-V
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I don't have the patience to wait a month on some people that wont even answer the phone or even post a phone number.

Took a sawzall to the collector

Heres where someone FAILED, I welded it up

Heres what its SUPPOSED to look like

& I welded the collector back together

cutting & welding took about a hour or so.

Ran to town & got a new gasket & put it all back together, it sounds great!

Minus the stupid leak & the steering shaft hitting they are pretty nice headers.

·
Registered
'06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor; 2014 XTS-Vsport
634 Posts
:hmm: Hmmm, which brings in the saying, "If you want it done right, then do it yourself"
I bet it feels good to get that headache out of the way . . and quickly, too.
good job!! :thumbsup:

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,267 Posts
Those are stainless, aren't they? You got a heliarc welder?!!

·
Registered
'06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor; 2014 XTS-Vsport
634 Posts
TIG or Heliarc will give a more pure weld, but if not avalilable,
a suitable MIG with the correct wire and helium/argon mixture will work just fine.

TIG is impressive in the right hands, though . . . :cloud9:. Dream Shop . . . Garage Overhaul . . . More Toys . . . ugh-ugh-ugh . . . Tool-Time :bouncy:

:coffee: back to reality . .

·
Registered
2005 Black Cts-V
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are stainless, aren't they? You got a heliarc welder?!!
Yea they are cheap stainless, you can sorta stick a magnet to them in some places.

just a mig welder with helium/argon....I wish so bad I had a tig OR straight argon so I could use stainless steel wire, but owell. This is strong but prone to rust---I painted the weld with hightemp paint.

·
Registered
2004 Raven Black CTS-V
135 Posts
Bummer on the leak but nice job with the fix! Now try to get your money back and you can have a set of free OBX's!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts