Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on and in it went. Cause was the bad timing chain problem. Will be fixed tomorrow.

So they gave me a stripper CTS. As far as I could tell the only option was probably the sunroof. Weird not having the nav/HD setup. I'll say this, the radio worked and sounded just fine. The smaller engine was all the power you needed. Mileage was about 2-3 mpg more, 24mpg, on the DIC. Interesting to feel how the car was much lighter than my car and so it handeled easier. The wheel turned easier. Didn't feel as heavy in a hard turn. Noticed a weird little problem it and my car has, the rear seatbelt buckles play click-clack on big bumps or hard turn. Sitting in my driveway, it still looked like a Cadillac. If these are selling for around $25k like the Sunday ads say, it sure beats an Accord for that price. So not a bad car even in stripper form.:bouncy:

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
There is no such thing as no frills Cadillac. A base CTS is still going to be better equipped than 90% of the vehicles out there on the road. After all, when is an 8 speaker Bose CD/XM radio considered bare bones?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Nice post. Very refreshing among all the "Check out my DI/FE2/PDQ/J55/AWD car!!" topics. Yatesd hit the nail on the head- even a "base" Cadillac is still a damn nice car.

·
Registered
08 CTS RWD with all options
178 Posts
"If these are selling for around $25k like the Sunday ads say, it sure beats an Accord for that price."

A couple of years ago my cousin bought a Mercedes C280; I was surprised when I saw it, he said that Honda didn’t give him a good deal on a fully loaded Accord, so he decided to have a luxury car with much more options for less money.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
Funny. My BIL bought an MB GLK350. His was a pretty base model but he paid about what a loaded Hyundai Sante Fe was going for up here. He was willing to forgo a few frills for the MB experience.

What I didn't say was that our '08 SRX was even cheaper than his MB and had more utility and features. Still, he was happy with his ride and who could blame him?

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW,
Got my CTS back. I guess when they do the chain they have to remove the oil, so I got a free oil change. They had the DIC on 'Oil 100%' when I got in it. Sweet. They made my AC blow colder too. It's 95 and humid here. Car definitely felt smoother than the loaner, but that stripper was still a great car! :thumbsup:

Brings up the story of this 55 year old gal I used to date when I was young. After I saw her recently, I told a friend she was like an old Cadillac. She may have some dents and rust, but she still gives you a smooth ride! :histeric:

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT
146 Posts
I just got one of those "strippers" for my company car. It is the PI 3.6l with manual transmission. The only option is leather seating surfaces. It is a very nice car. I required the manual transmission and this was the only one I could find. I live in MI and picked up the car in VA and drove it back this week. It was a gorgeous drive.

What did I notice - the rattle from the rear deck! I took it to my local dealer and a TSB was just issued to have it fixed. It took about an hour.

This is an amazingly quiet car.

I left my 2005 CTS 3.6l PI 6 spd manual/FE3 with the dealership. 103K of great miles in 4.5 years. The '09 interior/stereo is so much nicer.

The transmission and clutch has improved feel. Take up and launch is smoother. The clutch has a heavier feel that the previous CTS. The shifting is a bit "notchier" than the '05. I just hope Cadillac continues with manuals. If they do, I'll probably own one the rest of my days.

I'm upgrading the wheels to 18" and when I get 50K I'll probably upgrade the suspension components. I was hoping to find a 3.6l DI FE3 Manual tranny, but alas no.... looked for over 3 months. I guess I should have ordered one in OCT 2008.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts