Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV Signature edition
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OBD2 scanner will not link to ecu 2005 Escalade I have power to pin 16.... I did notice I have only 4 pin outs on the J1962 connector on the vehicle... Anyone have Ideas?? THanks....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuse is not blown, I have power to pin 16 on the vehicle connector... coins in outlet they all have power.... but thanks I appreciate you getting back to me...

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
Could be a CAN vehicle. Also known as controller area network. Using a CAN system requires a CAN type scan tool. Older OBDII scan tools will not do CAN.

The CANDI module used with the GM Tech 2 is to adapt it to the CAN systems. Older GM vehicles do not need the CANDI module.

This site has some info on the OBDII connector using 4 wires.

http://www.auterraweb.com/obdiipinout.html

Logan Diagnostic
www.ledfix.com
www.airbagcrash.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of that... I bought my scanner years ago so it might not work.... Ordered a new one that is CAN obd2... Thanks...

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
Some GMs were using CAN as far back as 2003. I cannot find a reliable list of what GM vehicles were using CAN that far back.

A 2005 Esky probably was not using CAN....GM trucks are typically the last vehicles to get the newer systems. That said, it is a Cadillac...
so it may in fact be CAN.

So the problem may not be that the scan tool is a non-CAN.

I guess we need to back up....why are you trying to connect to the vehicle? SES lamp on?

There are service manual procedures for non-communication issues. Could be a network problem etc.

Logan Diagnostic
www.ledfix.com
www.airbagcrash.com

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
The obd port is setup for gm lan but if it has it for sure I don't know

I do use the candi module when I use my
Tech-2(may try it without the candi module sometime)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I have it working now, I use the VPW standard obd2 for my 2005 Escalade ESV (I do not have cam) pins 2,4,5 and 16. Someone pigtailed another wire to the number two pin wire removed that pigtail connection now it reads codes….. I canceled my obd2cam scanner for now…. Thanks all for your help I would not have found my problem with out your input…

OBD2 VPW
2----- Data
4----- Ground
5----- Ground
16---- Power

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
the cadillac man said:
Our trucks(not sure on the 06) does not have can bus as I can use the tech-2 without it in my 03
candi module is not required till 07

1 - 14 of 14 Posts