Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My name is Gary and I have just purchased a 1998 Seville STS with 81K miles. Beautifull car... Pearl White paint and a Navy blue cloth top. We bought it from a private party and I am starting to get a little bit of nervous anger building up towards the seller.Two days after driving it home I get a call from my girlfriend saying she was dropping off mail to a neighbor turned the car off to go inside and when she came out the battery was dead. AAA couldnt get it jumped and said something besides the battery is wrong. So I Took the battery to Autozone to charge it and test it. It did charge but had a bad cell.
I pointed out a sticker on the battery that had the seller's name and a date 2 days prior to us buying the car. So he had charged it didnt say anything to us about having a bad cell and when he put the battery back in the car he didnt secure it in place OR attach the vent. Now 2 days later I have an SES light that has appeared. Starting to feel a lil queezy... Know what I'm sayin?
So I just read here, that I can pull codes from the display without an OBD so that's what I'm heading out to do right now. Wish me luck.

·
Super Moderator
86,152 Posts
Re: Nube to Cadillac

:welcome:

So, did you replace the battery or just recharge it? If it has a dead cell, it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Gary: Perhaps the people who charged it up for the prior owner didn't realize or tell him there was a bad cell in the battery, and/or they were the one's who didn't anchor the battery down properly. Buying a used car via a non-dealer transaction is always a risky business because they are almost always an "as is " deal, aside from the fact the car may have been sitting for a long time.

Regardless, get yourself a good quality battery and have the charging system checked after its been charged to operating level. If the new battery fails then there are other problems. The best thing for batteries, engines and transmissions of most cars is to use them frequently .... don't let them sit.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,813 Posts
Know what I'm sayin?
YUP - we know EXACTLY what you are saying -

after pulling the codes - post them here -
along with their DEFINITIONS -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts