Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
STS 2008
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any expert opinions on this product, it comes with a guarantee sooo I figured it must be pretty good, what do you guys who have tried it or seen its results think of it?

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
Frankly, it just SUCKS!!! :D

It's a con, pure and simple, and they've been riding off a good report from Consumers Reports (you know, those clowns who insist America just Can't make a decent automobile ;) ) from Years ago....

They call it the "Once a Year Car Polish" but for me, water stops beading-up after just a couple of washes.

On the other hand, Carnuba wax goes 6-8 months with "heavy beading" for me now. Griots Garage makes a stick of Carnuba that's in a deodorant like dispenser and applies easily and is my current favorite for longevity.

Just today I've decided I need to reapply since I last put it on, for the winter, last November. This time I'm going to see if it will last even longer with Klasse paint sealer underneath (this has been reported to be OK on lighter colored paints but may appear slightly "smeary" on black - mines silver)

I washed, Percleano-ed (to remove all traces of old wax), Clay barred (Groits again), 2 coats of Klasse, 2 coats of Carnuba.

We'll see! ;)

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
If you are at all serious about your car's finish requirements, then Run, do not Walk away from this product.

Isn't this the one from the infomercial, where they dragged some fat broad up from the audience to smear Nufinish all over a hood from some junkyard, proceeded to set it on fire with lighter fluid and then oooh and ahhed over the shiny result?

Please, spare me.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
I use any of the "Mothers" brand products. They really shine and water beads for a long time. Wax twice a year.:cool:

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
LOL here we go again.

Wax is old school, it still works but wax hasn't changed in 200 years and never will. Automotive finishes change all the time. Anything over the counter sucks, plain and simple.

If you want a basic daily driver protectant, polish type thing for a car that has good paint then I would suggest either professional Paint Sealant from http://perfectautofinish.com/

Or my new found friend, Z-AIO from http://www.zainostore.com/

Both are outstanding products for a daily driver situation. Easy on easy off with excellent results and long lasting protection.

If you want more than basic shine and protection, just take either brands system to the next level.

My steps for the ultimate shine are
Wash & rinse
Clay bar
Wash & rinse
Paint cleaner
Wash & rinse
Polish
Polish
Sealant
Detailing Spray

This entire process gets done maybe twice a year less the clay bar which only gets done once a year if needed and only when needed. NOTE: I only use filtered water on the car. Never tap water and never hi pressure rinse at the car wash.

In between I keep the car clean and detailed with an occasional polish when desired.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
My steps for the ultimate shine are
Wash & rinse
Clay bar
Wash & rinse
Paint cleaner
Wash & rinse
Polish
Polish
Sealant
Detailing Spray
No offense but Codewise you have a lot of time on your hands for all these steps.
I pretty much want a wash and wax. I use detailing spray to keep the paint shiny and water beading.

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
Plus, you know, you easily can get help for those OCD issues now ;)

The "snake-oil" sales pitch that says wax hasn't changed in 200yrs while paint has is just spurious anyway....

The role of wax, or Anything you want to use as protection against the elements (acid - alkali - droppings - etc) has NOT changed, No matter WHAT it is you're covering with it. Paint, chrome, aluminum, WhatEver......

Just like OIL, everybody's got an opinion. And really, there's a lot of good products available from a lot of manufactures in both oil AND paint treatments. If it forms that barrier and lasts a good long time while being easy to apply I say it's doing what it's supposed to do!

I don't rule-out polymers OR wax, you can get Great stuff in either camp but it's just stupid to claim either is superior all around. Try 'em all! ;)

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,766 Posts
Nu Finish does a good job of lasting a long time. But, the gloss/finish is light years behind Zaino. Before becoming enlightened, I used Nu Finish for many years, then switched to Mother's, the Zymol, and presently Zaino. It does not get any better than Zaino IMO for ease of application, durability, and gloss.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Nu Finish has pretty good durability for an over the counter product. :)

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Like I said I can only do that once, maybe twice a year. In between I keep the car clean and keep a detailing spray on it. And honestly it doesn't take that long.

Now, I think I mentioned the daily driver solution? Zaino Z-AIO is pretty sweet. Goes on and comes off quickly, lightly cleans the paint and leaves a nice durable shine for the daily driver.

As far as over the counter, Meguiars makes a very good Cleaner/Wax. The Mothers products are also very good, etc.

I'm not fond of NuFinish, Eagle One crap or anything made by Turtle Wax company.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,766 Posts
Now, I think I mentioned the daily driver solution? Zaino Z-AIO is pretty sweet. Goes on and comes off quickly, lightly cleans the paint and leaves a nice durable shine for the daily driver.
^^ That is what I use 2-3 X/year. However, each time I also follow up with Zaino CS (clear seal). It is a spray, and is NOT removed. Takes an additional 15 minutes maximum and provides incedible protection after the AIO. The AIO is a cleaner/polish (not a cleaner/wax), and the CS provides another layer of protection. The entire process each time on my Lade takes 1.5-2.0. Less for our SLS. Withstands salt and MI winters with ease. I used to spend a lot, and I mean A LOT, more time with far inferior results. I get my Zaino products
from HCVONE above, who is a distributor and usually ships same day as well as provides additional gifts (ie applicators, etc) with each order. :)

NOTE: If I put more miles on my vehicles, I would likely up the frequency to 3-4X per year, just because it is so darn easy.

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
^^ That is what I use 2-3 X/year. However, each time I also follow up with Zaino CS (clear seal). It is a spray, and is NOT removed. Takes an additional 15 minutes maximum and provides incedible protection after the AIO. The AIO is a cleaner/polish (not a cleaner/wax), and the CS provides another layer of protection. I used to spend a lot, and I mean A LOT, more time with far inferior results. :)

NOTE: If I put more miles on my vehicles, I would likely up the frequency to 3-4X per year, just because it is so darn easy.
Same basic process on my V and Silverado with great results, except I go ahead and Z-5 and Z-2 my V then Z8 and CS. Everyone expects my V to look great, but not my 180,000 mile daily driver pickup,I get compliments on both as to how clean they are kept and the truck says outside and is only washed about twice a month. It gets dusted every 2-3 days and Z-6 1-2 times a week. The V is garaged and gets wiped and Z-8 once a week(Sat/Sun),and gets washed every couple of months...Looks Great!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Everyone expects my V to look great, but not my 180,000 mile daily driver pickup,I get compliments on both as to how clean they are kept !:thumbsup:
I know what you mean. Our 8.5 year old SLS is the same way. I do spend more time on the Lade than the SLS, as the Lade gets washed every week and the SLS may go 2 weeks, even 3 at times now I have to admit. It is garaged though and usually puts on less than 4500 miles per year now that it is not our primary driver. Regardless, I get almost as much satisfaction on the comments on how clean that one is, as almost anyone can keep a new car looking new. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts