Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 eldo, with a 4.9, have cleaned out EGR passages, put in new EGR, and stilled failed under NOX - for the 7th time! HELP PLEASE!!!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,126 Posts
:confused: I'm not too sure that NOx isn't one of the nasties that a catalytic convertor works on......ask your local muffler shop for an honest (???) opinion on a 16 year old cat.

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
Any codes? Have you checked for leaks in the vac line from the EGR solenoid to the EGR valve? The rubber connectors on either end get brittle.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have replaced the cat & the o2, did check and recheck for leaks. Just found a short in a wire going to fan, repaired it and I'm hoping that the fan just wasn't getting the engine cool enough. Thanks!

·
Registered
1992 Seville
323 Posts
Have you checked your exhaust system for leaks? Your EGR valve requires positive backpressure to open.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Overheating, bad ignition timing, faulty EGR vaccum control solenoid, damaged solenoid wiring, cracked or leaking EGR vacuum hose. Those all come to mind.

How high are the readings on the failure?

Does your state offer a waiver? It sounds like you might qualify. Here the repairs must be signed off by a certified repair tech and done at a certified repair facility to qualify for a waiver.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:worship: Thanks for all of your help! I dropped the timing 2 deg, repaired the wiring going to the fan, replaced the solenoid, filled up with premium and it finally passed!

·
Registered
2000 Dev, 94 FW (crushed), 96 FW Limo (sold), 95 SLS (sold)
367 Posts
I read this entire thread thinking that you blew up your motor with NOS seven times. I was quite impressed with your diligence to get that extra 150 hp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts