·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
This is the same system that was talked about 6 months ago & all the naysayers insisted that a rear mount turbo was crap & would never work. I hope someone will do this so they can see just how wrong they were!!!

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
They work pretty well. I've heard them being successful on corvettes.

The only down side that hasn't really been an issue is they can easily be unbolted and stolen out back if someone wants them.
Other than that ..when they are properly tuned they work well.

Good to hear you mention they can now tune the pcm in the 3.6 engine.

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They work pretty well. I've heard them being successful on corvettes.

The only down side that hasn't really been an issue is they can easily be unbolted and stolen out back if someone wants them.
Other than that ..when they are properly tuned they work well.

Good to hear you mention they can now tune the pcm in the 3.6 engine.
yep should open some doors for performace in those cars for sure :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 3.6L Y43 Hotchkis Stage-1TVS-totaled, 13 Subaru WRX
3,518 Posts
I'm tempted, and i just met with some V guys last week that did their own work to SC their V. Told me we can bolt on a turbo in a weekend if i came by... ooooo so tempting

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
okay crackheads.
we never said that it wouldnt work, we said it was not a very good system.
hey, you can walk on your hands instead of your feet, that "works" but there is a better way.

and i have always been irritated at people touting how "innovative" the design is when rear mounted turbos have been around for literally decades.

is it a decent option for cars that have little room? yes, it is. nice option, way to go. is it new and amazing? no.

if i put a rear turbo on my buddies supra and race it next to a supra with an engine mount turbo and the turbo's are the same cost/size the engine mount one will walk away from him.
the lag time HAS to be immense, laws of physics and thermal dynamics here. no way around it. of course some monkey boy will be "but the gto has like no lag" fine. the gto is probably revving the engine up with the clutch engaged and then dropping it OR the ls2 in the gto is very torquey anyway and gets off the line JUST fine with no turbo.

okay lets go through some of the down sides of this thing,
its remote location and about a mile of piping means its going to lag, badly. the gasses that drive the turbine have a lot of time to cool down thereby losing speed and pressure not to mention the long length of pipe to pressurize.
its out back under the car, if a rock bounces into one of the impellers kiss the turbo goodbye.
water.. yeah, lets see VERY hot turbo case + splash of cold water = cracked metal.
lets put a hot chunk of spinning metal right by the gas tank.. yeah.. thats a good idea. you go over a speed bump or jam it up against the tank or even a little leak and you have tonnes of fun.

and don't tell me the entire "well the fastest gto has the sts turbo system.."
the fastest gto on that ONE board has the sts turbo system. there are faster gto's out there, I've seen them.

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sts is a good system because it is universal and bolt on......its cool someone is doing it kael so it is the only avaliable bolt on turbo for the cts. :thumbsup: plus with our drivetrain a turbo lag off the line wouldnt be all bad and you ca still rev the engine for back pressre.....anyway yeah time for some sc's and turbos either way

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Tip: the dual top mounted turbo on the 2.8L also fits the 3.6... with some adjustments... ;)
Since I lease, it is not an option for me. But I can probably get you the partnumbers if you are interested.

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
I thought that rear mounted turbo was for if you didnt have room up front for a turbo? I would think we have plenty of room.

Heres a though- find a wrecked Saab with the 2.8 turbo. Buy the turbos then have them put on...

Or just buy a supercharger..... Something about putting that much power through our high quality differentials concerns me.....

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking..

Since the Saab 9-3 Aero has the same exact engine as mine, what is stopping me from adding the same turbo they are using? Space requirements? It would be nice to get my car to 250hp with the addition of a turbocharger.

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought that rear mounted turbo was for if you didnt have room up front for a turbo? I would think we have plenty of room.

Heres a though- find a wrecked Saab with the 2.8 turbo. Buy the turbos then have them put on...

Or just buy a supercharger..... Something about putting that much power through our high quality differentials concerns me.....
our diffs are almost identical to a v series :stirpot:

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
our diffs are almost identical to a v series :stirpot:

So put the same amount of power through em and kiss em goodbye!! LOL!!! :thumbsup:

I know Ill end up doing somethign crazy soon but first I need to have enough money saved in case something breaks! The thing I like about nitrous is you can floor it on launch and then hit the nitrous as you go so youre not putting as much stress on the diff.

Its a lot cheaper than boosting also!

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
I guess I must be smoking crack, because I never remember anyone saying that the rear mounts were as good as an underhood turbo. Or that there was no lag. Or that there were no down sides to a rear mounted turbo. I just remember trying to get a bunch of redundant naysayers to accept the fact that you can make decent power from a rear mounted turbo system. No one ever said anything about being able to make as much power as a front mount, or that there weren't some down sides to having it mounted at the rear. The bottom line is that there it is right there on their site, a turbo kit at a decent price that anyone can buy and install on thier car with very little underhood modification. There's lots of these sytems out there and yes, people drive them on the road every day.

It is a doable option. Period.

Are there other means of making more power from a turbo. Of course. Are there downsides to mounting turbos in the rear. Yes. Did anyone ever say anything to the contrary. Not that I recall.

So what exactly is the argument here?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts