Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy Ryan has a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham that he keeps in very good condition. It's triple black, and it's got a low 97k miles on it. He only drives it once a month or so, and only on weekends, when it's not being driven, it's parked in a storage garage under a cover. He had a '96 Town Car as his daily driver, but he traded it off because it was getting rusty and the clearcoat on his hood and trunk was fading....fast.

So what did he buy to replace it?

A White Diamond 1999 Seville STS. 94k miles for $5500. I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's got all the options, aside from sunroof. I think it's got the neutral leather interior, but I've yet to see any interior pics. So he's got my two favorite modern day Cadillacs....the LT1 FWB and 98-03 STS.

Can't wait to race him in the GS. :cool2:

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Good taste: some have it and some don't. Ryan is obviously among the former. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
2 years older, 22,000 more miles and $2,000 less than mine a year and a half later. I'd say he got a good deal if it's as clean as mine was (and is). Hope he enjoys his as much as I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
If only it were an '02-'03 with Magnaride...

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
I'm guessing it's because his name is Ryan... obviously he has great taste. My best friend's name is Ryan and he too has a great taste in cars. As for I... do I really need to state the obvious? Pics are a must!

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
You just want to hear his headgaskets singing their siren song......"coolant in D major"...

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He says it's very clean, and he's quite anal about his cars. I hope he checked the coolant out when he looked at it. I wanted to go look at it with him on Saturday, but I was busy with other friends. What's funny is that he kinda bought this on impulse, and he did it really quick. He looked at it on Saturday, and purchased it today.

With the race, I'll get him out of the hole, but I wonder at what speed the 300hp Northstar will pass my 240hp Supercharged 3.8...... I'm thinking around 50 or maybe 60..

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
As a person who has owned the both cars (mine was LS indeed), I would say yours can be at least as fast as him in initial start up and you can have the lead for a while. Do not forget the fact that low end torque in N* L37 is not very brilliant. If it was an SLS, I would say he even could have the lead from the beginning. However the STS shows its real power in high end torque a bit later and will easily leave you behind. And I guess it can happen even at speeds less than 50, but the distance between you will considerably increase as speed goes higher and higher....
Update us about the results, it will be fun! :D

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Somehow I get the feeling the title of this thread was a jab at me. I HAVE NO PROOF BUT I'M KEEPING AN EYE ON YOU MR. RAWSON! :)

Actually I'll admit, as a "car guy", my car choices are pretty crappy.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, if you didn't see Ian, last month I made a thread called "Some of my friends have an awful taste in cars", detailing some of my other friends and their obsession with their Ford Focuses and other econoboxes.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
As an owner of a 2003 white diamond, I am biased towards this colour combo.
Nice car.
Having said that, there's no way I'd gamble on a 99 Northstar, not when 02 and 03's are ridiculously cheap.
Our rough statistical poll showed 1999 cars are at highest risk for headgasket failures.

I hope your pal dodges that bullet.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
No, if you didn't see Ian, last month I made a thread called "Some of my friends have an awful taste in cars", detailing some of my other friends and their obsession with their Ford Focuses and other econoboxes.
LOL. Well that's what I get for my 6 month hiatuses.

He's going to love the hell out of that car, I just hope as Ted said, he doesn't get bitten by that year.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
We've got a friend that could do the headgaskets in his garage in a weekend. No I'm not joking or embellishing. Matt is a motor-god. He's the one that made a 575hp LT-1 based 383 for his little brother's '95 Roadmaster. He's also took a 454, bored/stroked it out to 496, and got that to run just shy of 600hp. He then put that into his '95 GMC Suburban K2500. It was a 13 second Suburban!! :lol:

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
Nice car.
Having said that, there's no way I'd gamble on a 99 Northstar, not when 02 and 03's are ridiculously cheap.
Our rough statistical poll showed 1999 cars are at highest risk for headgasket failures.

I've had my '99 ETC for a little over 2 years and 34,000 miles. No unusual problems to this point.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Nice car.

I have had my 99 STS for more than one year with a lot of aggressive driving and it has 132K miles on it and powertrain is rock solid!

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The STS is faster, but not by much. Maybe 10 feet by 85 mph...

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
I have a friend who keeps buying Lexuses. They're excellent cars, but I just don't care.

Outside of friends I've met through car forums, no one I otherwise know through other means has anything interesting. I do have one friend with a '93 Wrangler and one with two Mark VIIIs, but that's it.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
People who care about cars will nearly always talk about their cars specifically, as in "I parked my (insert make) under the tree." Most folks will just call their car "car". Sometime, if you ask them what they drive, they'll have to think about it for a moment.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts