Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK now I have a question.

The factory wheels on my DTS are 17x7.5 with a 40mm offset, correct? And the bolt pattern is 5/115 right?

But I see a lot of places offering wheels that are 17x7 and / or 5/114.3

So what would be the result of a wheel that's 17x7.5 with a 45 mm offset. Will that work? 5mm is less than an 1/8 of an inch.

I guess the bottom line is, what will work for me? This is very confusing and I know people don't care what they sell you so I want a good honest answer, which I'm sure I'll get right here.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
The wheel will sit 5mm closer to the frame. Depending on how much caliper clearance you have with the current 40mm wheels, those 5mm could make a difference.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Additionally on some of the wheel sites I see specs like 01 DeVille, 17x7.5, 5/115 offset 38 - 45

Is there really that much to play with? And in the wheel world is 5/115 and 5/114.3 the same thing?

What about 17x7 and 17x7.5 It's seems very difficult to find wheel 7.5 inches wide. they're either 7 or 8.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
If you could go for a lower offset with wider wheel, that would be ideal. It would fill the fenders nicely, just don't go lower than the suggested 38mm offset.

I would personally stay away from 5X114.3, but I do see a bunch of CTS guys putting that bolt pattern on their cars.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So you're saying that ideally we want 17x8 down to 38mm offset and definitely 5/115

Hmm I'll have to see what's available in the style I like. Thanks so far

Ok this isn't going well. Everything is 5/114.3 in 17x8 and 17x7. This sucks ass. The wheels I'm looking at are

ADR M-Sport Blcak
ASA AR1 Black
VOXX Monza Black
TSW Kyalami Black and
Konig Imagine Black

I love the style and they'll fit the car well.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,098 Posts
5mm is about 3/16". If you look at some tire specs you'll see that the rim widths, as applied to allowable section widths, can vary from, say, 7" to 8 1/2". Within allowable limits, a thinner rim width will make the mounted tire look "squatty" or fatter. Wider rim widths will move the beads farther apart, and make the tire appear thinner for its section height. If you put a 114.3mm pattern wheel on a 115mm bolt hub, you must bend the hardened studs inward to have the studs center in each hole, and the lug nuts, in bending the studs, gall the outer 1/2 of each tapered wheel hole. If the wheel does not rely on the hub pilot for center, then the first nut to be tightened will pull the wheel to that stud center, moving the wheel off-center. Not too safe.....Personally, I wouldn't want to run a CTS, or anything else, up to 130 on aftermarket wheels with bent studs. (This thread belongs up in "Suspension"...)

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK So is the factory DTS 5/115 ? We definitely want correct and we definitely want safety. No cob jobs.

If this needs to be moved that's fine with me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts