Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 08 STS-V, 14 Raptor, 12 Camaro SS, 08 FJ
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10400 miles and my friend was looking undre the hood today. He noticed my IC fluid didn't even register in the filler cup:banghead:. I had the oil changed by Cadillac @ 7000 miles. Wouldn't they have checked the fluid at the same time? Or did they check and fill it, and this stuff goes down that quick? Do I have to check it every 1k or 2k miles just to make sure it's still full?
Anyone else noticing the IC fluid going down?

·
Registered
2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)
580 Posts
sorry for being a jack ass, but whats IC fluid?? anyways i didnt check my oil level for a while and one day i was taking a trip so i dicided to check it, and the car hardly had any oil in it!!! no notification at [email protected]!! kind of scary,,you would think it would let you know to put oil in your car, rather than telling you when you need window washer fluid!!

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
819 Posts
I wouldn't even know where to check this, althought I could probably figure it out. But,isn't this a Cadillac? With all the electronic wizzardry and gadgetry, shouldn't it tell you something like this?

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 08 STS-V, 14 Raptor, 12 Camaro SS, 08 FJ
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the cup beside your battery with the lid on it. It has a picture of a radiator on it. I didn't know either until we saw it empty and followed it to a radiator, then opened the owners manual to see what it was.
BUT all is well. I was parked nose down on a steep incline when it looked empty. I got home on level ground and it was back up to the fill line....

·
Registered
STS-V
2 Posts
Probably wise to look at it sometimes... It should be a "permanent" fill, but a couple of months ago my car started making a groaning / howling noise. Took it to the nearest dealership (visiting family in FL,) and they couldn't identify the noise. Heard it, couldn't find it. Suggested I leave the car there for the weekend, so they could look again on Monday. I did not.

Took it back to my brother's place, and we did what all good mechanics do. Opened the hood, and stood staring at the engine, beer in hand.

Noted that the IC resevoir was apparently low. Went out and bought some dexcool, and refilled it. Turns out, it was empty. The noise was the pump whining with low fluid.

Got home, got it to the dealer, told them about the obvious leak (no visible drips, BTW, at least without being under the car..), and it turned out the intercooler pump housing was cracked. Took about a week to get a new pump and hoses.

And that's the end of this story.

·
Registered
10 CTS-V, 13 ESCALADE, 06 C6, YAM R1
574 Posts
jh...when under the car, could you see the leak, even though it didn't drip?

·
Registered
574 Posts
anybody else experiencing low ic fluid? mine seems to lose more than it should just from expansion, but i don't see any drips or anything under car???

·
Registered
2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)
580 Posts
anybody else experiencing low ic fluid? mine seems to lose more than it should just from expansion, but i don't see any drips or anything under car???
seems like i have to fill mine once a month at least...is that normal??

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
Are you sure it's low? There is a resivour under the right side engine compartment cover, tht's is where you add it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Are you sure it's low? There is a resivour under the right side engine compartment cover, tht's is where you add it.
not sure if it's a return system or not. i was told that that tank is strictly overflow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts