Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
03 CTS *sold*
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trolling around here for a bit now.. figured I might as well say hi. :)

Brought my 5spd 2003 CTS home a week before Thanksgiving but probably didn't really appreciate it until the following day - the car practically drove me home from a rough day at the track.

I do have some plans for "Swift" in the near future... but first ... can anyone give me a brief list of weak points as far as drive train goes? (I found out the hard way that the Firebird Tremec T5 didn't get along with my constant abuse.)

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
The weakest link in the drivedrain is the rear end. Differentials will drop faster than anything you've seen if you abuse it. I have gone through 3 rear ends and I don't even race mine.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the new ride, you'll enjoy it!

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
I'm sure looking forward to comments on mods from your point of view! Welcome to the forum. The most talked about weakness is the rear diff. There have been several failures and multiple same owner failures. I run mine pretty hard(I have intake and exhaust mods) but, after 31,000 miles I still have no issues. Beyond this there have been 2 recalls on my 04 I believe a few on the 03(you might want to check with a dealer to make sure they were addressed). Other then that it varies from owner to owner but this ride seems to be pretty good to this point. The V guys recommend a short shifter for better rowing of the gears, not sure how it would help yours(how do you like it as is). Enjoy the mods forthcoming and shout out for advice as there is no shortage of that here. Again Welcome :welcome:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
:welcome:to the Forum :bouncy: :yup: :D
Your differential typically will handle about 300 to 315HP before it breaks. Yet a lot have broken at 255HP:( I think the manual tranny lends itself to more abuse.

Are you the girl with the CTS in the picture? You're a Racer?
:burn:

We have a Forum Vendor who has a Group Buy going for Hugger Headers and high flow Cats for both the 3.2 and the 3.6 engines. They're good for about 25HP.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59083

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a question about the rear end, is there anyway to upgrade it, in one form or fashion, so it will handle more power? I mean 310hp at the rear wheel would mean pushing over 380hp at the flywheel (20% loss). And for a V6, thats a lot of power, so should we even be worried about overloading the rear end?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Then again, with the intake, headers/cats, and exhaust system, you'd probably already be putting out around 300hp at the flywheel, and when someone finally makes a programmer for it, that would hopefully be a large increase in power, so maybe we should worry...

·
Registered
Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille
1,425 Posts
welcome to the forums!!! The forums have been very informational for me!!! This is a great group and you will enjoy!!!! :welcome:

Jonny D

·
Registered
03 CTS *sold*
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang it! A GP on headers and I'm going have to pass. :( -- But thanks for the info!

'Bird takes priority in the moding department, until it's problems are ironed out. Soon as I get that V6 in to the 11s (10s, 9s, whatever) then I'll start the serious work on the CTS. Went from mid-15s to low 13s... the CTS has a lot more to start out with so I have high hopes...

I talked to some of the folks at STS earlier this year, but the stock compression ratio isn't something I want to force feed just yet .. but then again, I did just get my hands on a second ProCharger unit. ;)

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Cadiman1983 said:
I have a question about the rear end, is there anyway to upgrade it, in one form or fashion, so it will handle more power? I mean 310hp at the rear wheel would mean pushing over 380hp at the flywheel (20% loss). And for a V6, thats a lot of power, so should we even be worried about overloading the rear end?
Doug Klein in Newark, Ohio makes a cradle support for the CTS-v differential. The V dif. is a bit different and may not work. I have the address if you wanna check.

·
Registered
03 CTS *sold*
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
onephatguy said:
:welcome: The weakest point - it's not a V. But most of us have that same problem. lol :histeric:
SwftCdy .... CTS owner in search of two cylinder bolt on mod :D .... I found one for the Firebird.... now .... I just need a map to find one for the CTS! :histeric:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
SwftCdy said:
SwftCdy .... CTS owner in search of two cylinder bolt on mod :D .... I found one for the Firebird.... now .... I just need a map to find one for the CTS! :histeric:
Wow, that went over my head. Is that something like a Sky Hook?:hmm:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Cadiman1983 said:
Thanks Bob, go ahead and email me his info. Might as well just check on it.
Shucks.. I'm at home now and Doug's e-mail address is at work. I'll send it in the morning. This is the greatest guy you could meet. Tell him I sent you.
This guy and his wife are both weight lifters. His neck is as big as my thigh!

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Richard Boxman said:
BEWARE OF ANY CADDY WITH THE NORTHSTAR (JUNK) ENGINE - MY 1998 STS (MY 8TH CAD) WITH 76,000 MILES (WELL MAINTAINED) HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE CAR TWICE. INITIALLY TO SEAL THE ENGINE TO MINIMIZE (NOT ELIMINATE)OIL LEAKS, AND NOW TO INSTALL INSERTS TO ALLOW THE HEAD BOLTS TO BE PROPERLY TORQUED SO THE ENGINE COOLANT IS NOT LEAKING INTO THE CYLINDERS.THERE IS NO OTHER LUXURY SPORT CAR (HAHA) ON THE MARKET THAT HAS REQUIRED THIS AS A MATTER OF COURSE. CADILLAC HAS DONE NOTHING MORE THAN SAY THEY ARE SORRY FOR MY INCONVENIENCE. RICHARD BOXMAN [email protected]
Some people have all the luck!! I had a 2001 Eldorado with the NorthStar. I loved it! Yes I would buy another. Maybe a STS. Sorry about your experience. Sounds like, "Sour Grapes".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts