Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS fe4
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read the whole past because, as the title indicates, this isn't your average no crank issue.

2003 CTS luxury sport, 2nd owner. 3.2 auto, approx 180k miles, but meticulously maintained. Prior to yesterday there has been absolutely no problems with the car. I commute nearly 3 hours daily for work and my car handles most of the family driving (groceries, leasure travel, ect). I'm a big music fan and essentially demand a perfect audio system. Im currently laying the groundwork for my "dream system." This will add around 150 amps to the factory electrical demand. Due to this, I am beginning by upgrading the electrical system. I bought 2 new batteries, an isolator, I 320 amp alternator (from an extremely highly respected manufacturer) and big 3 upgrade. In case you don't know, big 3 is upgrading the factory battery, charging, starting and ground cables. In my case, I upgraded to 1/0 gauge pure oxygen free copper cable. 3 days ago, I tore the car down. Installed new alternator, replaced tensioner (idler) pulley. Installed new cables & 1 new battery. Isolator & 2nd battery were not installed and audio system is still OEM. After putting it all back together, the car won't crank. Not even partially and no solenoid "clicking" when I try to crank. Battery shows 12.6 volts on the fluke. Main power wire to starter is 12.6 at the starter and same for charging cable at the alternator. Main cable from battery to under good fuse panels has no voltage drop either. Grounds are all good. Everything gets power and every possible electrical component I can test comes back fine. Also, there is no voltage drop on the battery when I try to crank and the switched wire to starter solenoid has no peer at starter when trying to crank. It is not possible the alternator was "too much" because the engine has not ran with the new alternator. In theory I cannot find a reason for the car not cranking. I have left ignition on for a period of time for the computer to "relearn" and even put factory alternator back in, just in case. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
You need to isolate the issue starting at the fuse box. Be systematic, battery to main, to ignition, to ECM, to starter solenoid. You probably blew a fuse is my bet. If your getting juice to all three try shorting the solidoid to see if it will turn over and start. bottom line you connected something wrong, or poorly blew a fuse, ECM or bad ground etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts