Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

On my way back from Syracuse last night my Lane Departure Warning System stopped functioning.

I've pushed the dashboard button several times to no avail. I've also read the relevant sections of the Owners Manual and the Service Manual but have not found the fault.

I've checked and the windshield is clean in front of the camera, and the yellow light comes on the spedometer at start-up.

However the switch at the headlamp control does not light up with its yellow dot.

There is no fault showing in my DIC.

Any suggestions that you may offer will be truly appreciated. I'd like to avoid the dealership spin and hold cycle should it be something simple and self-evident.

Thanks,

Tomko

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
If you have OnStar...push the button and they can do diagnostics on the car and maybe tell you what is wrong.

Jim

·
Registered
2008 DTS
24 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my recently purchased 2008 DTS. I have great fear with taking this car to the dealer, because it is spotless clean with no paint defects. I am more then willing to troubleshoot this system first. If anyone has had this problem or solved it, please offer some suggestions.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
888 Posts
I thought the side radar and the lane departure warning was in a package...
That you couldn't get one without the other???

Jim
Nope, they don't necessarily come together, at least not in 2008.

I had my side radar quit once. Went through the DIC menu and got some weird message about not being able to access an item. Turned off the ignition, re-started, went to the DIC menu and selected default settings, turned off the car, re-started and went through the menu again to reset each item as I wanted it. No more weird message and the radar started working again. It's probably more of a computer glitch than a hardware item. The dealer will likely just re-boot the appropriate computer, which will probably clear it. My guess anyway.....

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
I thought the side radar and the lane departure warning was in a package...
That you couldn't get one without the other???

Jim
No. The systems are completely independent and were sold that way in 2008.
While it would seem that they would have shared technology, that is not the way they work.

The LDW works completely based on a forward facing camera mounted near the Rear View Mirror. If there is a violation, that is the car senses that you have not turned on your turn signals but are crossing a lane marker, the icon on the dash flashes and a chime rings.

With the side radar, theres a sensor on each side of the car.
It will indicate in the appropriate side rear view mirror with an orange icon. If you turn on your turn signal while that condition exist, the icon will flash.

With both of these options, you must keep the path to the sensors clean.

The OP has checked this.
It sounds like maybe a fuse has blown in that he doesn't even get the little LED that signals that the system is turned on.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
922 Posts
I have both systems and each quit working independent of the other. I received the DIC message concerning the SBZ, but never received any error codes for the LDW.

As Southern said, for the SBZ I turned the system off and then back on using the DIC, haven't had any problems since. The LDW required a software upgrade, unfortunately that required a trip to the dealer. Thankfully the download took ~20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Computer glitches. That is the name of the game these days. Every system (cars and otherwise) relies on computers and software and all of them have glitches. TulsaVic is probably correct.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds like maybe a fuse has blown in that he doesn't even get the little LED that signals that the system is turned on.
A blown fuse was the first thing that I thought of - but I checked both the Owner's Manual, and the Factory Service Manual, and could not find a fuse assigned to the Lane Departure Warning System.

·
Registered
2009 DTS Premium Platinum
318 Posts
Re: Side radar

Just wanted to pipe in regarding the side radar. It seems to be very sensitive. I routinely get messages that the side blind zone detection is "unavailable" during snow or rain, even in light rain. It also wigs out when driving along long stretches of rural road where there is nothing to detect.

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
888 Posts
Re: Side radar

Just wanted to pipe in regarding the side radar. It seems to be very sensitive. I routinely get messages that the side blind zone detection is "unavailable" during snow or rain, even in light rain. It also wigs out when driving along long stretches of rural road where there is nothing to detect.
Can't say I've had weather issues (actually any issues except for that one time mentioned earlier) with the side radar. But I did have the forward "proximity" warning go nuts during a heavy snow and no way to turn off the blasted ding ding ding.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, guess what. While I was driving today, the Lane Departure Warning System just started working again. Imagine that! I wonder why?

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Likely have a bad connection/solder joint on whatever controls the function. Could be the the Body Control Module, but more likely there is a LDW controller.
Is the little green LED on now?
It will probably continue to be intermittent.

Having said that I will tell you about my 2003 Nissan Murano.
Driving in Houston on day two of a 3 day trip Ft Myers to El Paso.....
On a very heavily traveled highway (Did I mention this was Houston....ALL highways are heavily traveled) that was under construction. NO shoulders, just temporary Concrete walls..........car suddenly lost power and went into limp mode........down to about 6 MPH with about 30,000 cars stuck behind me, mile after mile, looking for an exit. Any exit.
Finally got off the highway and there was a motel right there, so we pulled in.
I decided that since it was after 6 pm, I would find and call a dealership on Monday. This was Saturday......
The next morning ,I went out to the car and it started and ran normally.
After stopping and starting the engine a few times, I decided that we would go until we couldn't go anymore.
It ran for 60,000 miles after that without a bit of a problem.
What happened?
A Transient signal on the buss, most likely. But we will never know.......

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guess what now. I drove the car all day yesterday and this time no Lane Departure Warning!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Replace the "camera".
It is the unit mounted on the windshield.
I have seen quite a few of them go bad.
They have to be programmed and calibrated with a road test afterward.
There is a procedure that calibrates the camera module in the Tech 2 but I never use it. If you do it triples the distance you have to drive it to get it to self calibrate.
As noted you have to "SPS program" the module and it learns the VIN and some other data, then drive it about a mile and be done.
You cannot swap them between vehicles, you have to get a new one.
They are VIN learned and won't work in another car.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1 Posts
Same problem. Just traded CTS (oil hog) for 08 DTS. When i press the Lane Departure Warning button (left of steering wheel) nothing lights up. I was hoping someone could walk me through this. I never even used the LDW so i don't really know how it works. Any ideas? Thx.

12,778 Posts
Mywae,
Are you still within the warranty on your vehicle? I would contact the dealership. They will be able to diagnose/repair this issue for you. Let us know what you find out.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

1 - 20 of 20 Posts