Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of problems, two belts replaced (making noise) - seperate incidents, meaning two trips to the dealer, ABS failure, traction failure, transmission slipping, wheel hub rusted, ashtray door fell off.

Parts for this thing seem to be rare - it took a week to get the supercharger belt and TWO weeks to get the transmission piece. Maybe GM is saving money by understocking their supply network.

Out of 16 months of ownership (20K miles), it's been in the shop for more than one full month - including having me driving a pontiac POS two weeks (I've never seen an interior with a larger expanse of cheap looking plastic in my life).

Really fun car to drive, but I'll never do it again. I realise it's an exotic car, but at least you get a decent loaner if you buy a MB.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Sorry youve had so many problems dude, but this is an ENTHUSIAST vehicle. Im not trying to defend GM's occasional shoddy craftsmanship, but at some point youve got to understand that part of owning and loving these cars is realizing that you are GONNA have to make SOME trade-offs when you consider the level of performance and luxury you are getting *FOR 20000.00 LESS THAN ITS CLOSEST COMPETITOR*.

People seem to forget a big attraction of Caddies is you can buy them, even the new ones, for thousands of dollars less than their counterparts (try scoring a brand new E63 AMG or M5 for 60k). There are just some things you have to learn to accept with that arrangement.

If you want a breadbox that won't break, buy a Lexus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had my STS-V since April 2006. The only thing I have had done is change the oil. Milage is now 24K and even the tires still look OK...

I love mine and will buy a new one in 2008.

David S Livingston

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You know what? You're right. I take back my first post. I wrote it under circumstances of high blood pressure after finding out I'd have to drive a grand prix for a second weekend (it didn't help that I was stuck in traffic with it for three hours on Thursday - I have both Sirius and XM in the Caddy).

I didn't expect a 469 horsepower car which is practically a custom car to be as reliable as a pickup (my Avalanche went three years without a single service issue). The workmanship is fine - and I couldn't care less about replacing soft compound tires or other things endemic to this kind of vehicle.

It's the DEALER I had to take the car to this time (the tranny went right in front of them and I had to get to an appointment, so I couldn't wait for a tow). During the repair, I figured out that I had to call the them every day and treat them REAL nice to make sure they looked for the part, followed up with the other dealer who had it, moved the part from the loading dock to the service area, scheduled the car for service, etc., etc. It didn't seem like they cared much how long it took.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Sorry to hear you had problems with your dealer.

Glad to hear you came back to loving your car... at least a little.
They really are nice to drive.
I haven't seen too many failures on these and we have sold quite a few.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I can almost gurantee you could of gotten the supercharger belt at a local autozone or similar store if you knew the belt size. That is pathetic to wait even a week for gm to find a supercharger belt.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Lol @ Sliverdollar with his quick hit comments.

Almost 7000 miles and the car runs like a top. I had to put a Lexus SC400 in his rightful place on Friday night. Shame on him for even trying.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
819 Posts
Lots of problems, two belts replaced (making noise) - seperate incidents, meaning two trips to the dealer, ABS failure, traction failure, transmission slipping, wheel hub rusted, ashtray door fell off.

Parts for this thing seem to be rare - it took a week to get the supercharger belt and TWO weeks to get the transmission piece. Maybe GM is saving money by understocking their supply network.

Out of 16 months of ownership (20K miles), it's been in the shop for more than one full month - including having me driving a pontiac POS two weeks (I've never seen an interior with a larger expanse of cheap looking plastic in my life).

Really fun car to drive, but I'll never do it again. I realise it's an exotic car, but at least you get a decent loaner if you buy a MB.
Since you appear to be the only other person (other than me) with a slipping transmission problem, and they can't duplicate mine because it is sporadic, what were the symptoms fo your problem and what was the solution?

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dealer couldn't duplicate the slipping either, but the car would not go into park, so they diagnosed some problems - something about a "module" and a "harness." I'll let you know the details as soon as I get the paperwork from the dealer.

The big problem was finding the parts: The process has taken two full weeks so far.

BTW, I have to call them later today to see if it's done. Is everyone high except me?

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 08 STS-V, 14 Raptor, 12 Camaro SS, 08 FJ
1,777 Posts
My dealer couldn't duplicate the slipping either, but the car would not go into park, so they diagnosed some problems - something about a "module" and a "harness." I'll let you know the details as soon as I get the paperwork from the dealer.

The big problem was finding the parts: The process has taken two full weeks so far.

BTW, I have to call them later today to see if it's done. Is everyone high except me?
That all depends on your definition of "HIGH"....:alchi:

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The offending part was the transmission valve body (24238968) - it took over a week to get one to the dealership.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
819 Posts
The offending part was the transmission valve body (24238968) - it took over a week to get one to the dealership.
Hmm. I'll keep that in mind. But, since they can't duplicate the problem, I'm relatively sure they won't just throw parts at it.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You know what? You're right. I take back my first post. I wrote it under circumstances of high blood pressure after finding out I'd have to drive a grand prix for a second weekend (it didn't help that I was stuck in traffic with it for three hours on Thursday - I have both Sirius and XM in the Caddy).

I didn't expect a 469 horsepower car which is practically a custom car to be as reliable as a pickup (my Avalanche went three years without a single service issue). The workmanship is fine - and I couldn't care less about replacing soft compound tires or other things endemic to this kind of vehicle.

It's the DEALER I had to take the car to this time (the tranny went right in front of them and I had to get to an appointment, so I couldn't wait for a tow). During the repair, I figured out that I had to call the them every day and treat them REAL nice to make sure they looked for the part, followed up with the other dealer who had it, moved the part from the loading dock to the service area, scheduled the car for service, etc., etc. It didn't seem like they cared much how long it took.
I would quietly locate another dealer. Isn't the dealer supposed to provide owners of STSs XLRs and comparable car??? I thought that I had seen that on this forum???

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I realise it's an exotic car, but at least you get a decent loaner if you buy a MB.
Not true... my Father gets a Nissan Altima everytime he takes his SL55 AMG for service. My Mother on the other hand gets a 7 series everytime she takes her 760Li for service :thumbsup:

Don't think MB is squeaky clean either. The SL55 has been in the shop 4 times in the 7 months my Dad has owned it. From supercharger pulley, to inoperable cd changer & squeaking hardtop....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts