Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this today. Is there anything I can check? No codes, ac is cold on both sides, air comes out of their respected places when set (defrost, bottom etc..) but the ac obviously works better in recirculation mode. If the recirc mode does not work will other things be affected because nothing else seems out of place. Just replaced rear window regulator today for dropped window, when does this end!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
Our cars use a Flow Through ventilation system. RECIRC will not "sound" much, if at all, louder than a normal setting.

RECIRC (or MAX) cooling uses about 80 - 85% of the processed cabin air along with some outside air for ventilation. The exhaust flapper vents are down inside the lower rear fenderwell quarter panels, Under the outer rear floor panels. The system will not recirculate 100% of the processed cabin air.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I pulled the cabin air filter out and looked in. The door that covers the blower is closed, the recirc button has no effect ( on or off) with the ac on. However when you have the heat on without the recirc button the door is open, when you push the recirc button the door closes. All I know is up until today when the ac was on and I pushed the recirc button you heard a big uptic in the air coming out, that was a fact. As a matter of fact any car I ever had if I recall pushing the recirc button gave you a uptick in air and a little cooler, there is no denying that. Am I going crazy? So with the ac on what does pushing in the recirc button actually do?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
So I pulled the cabin air filter out and looked in. The door that covers the blower is closed, the recirc button has no effect ( on or off) with the ac on. However when you have the heat on without the recirc button the door is open, when you push the recirc button the door closes. All I know is up until today when the ac was on and I pushed the recirc button you heard a big uptic in the air coming out, that was a fact. As a matter of fact any car I ever had if I recall pushing the recirc button gave you a uptick in air and a little cooler, there is no denying that. Am I going crazy? So with the ac on what does pushing in the recirc button actually do?
========================
So with the ac on what does pushing in the recirc button actually do?
the re-circulate door is ALWAYS partially open in the automatic setting -
EXCEPT when you select either 90* - full hot - or 60* - full cold - temp settings -
then the door is fully closed -

when you press the re-circulate button it overrides the auto setting and closes the door -

the best example of its practical use is if you were stuck behind a stinky diesel buss -
or if you had to drive through thick smoke -
manually closing the re-circulate door would prevent outside air from entering the cabin -

the other useful situations would be to give maximum cooling -
or maximum heating -

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what happened to that extra woosh sound when you hit the recirculate button with the ac on. I am NOT imagining that. It did it until today. BTW the door we are talking about is the door right under the cabin air filter correct?

·
Registered
2005 Deville DTS
25 Posts
I am assuming you don't have the defrost on but If you have the setting in the defrost mode it will preclude recirculation.

This is from the owners manual section 3 page 34

FRONT (Defrost): Pressing FRONT directs most of the air to the windshield and the side window outlets, with some air directed to the floor outlets. In this mode, the system will automatically turn off recirculation and run the air-conditioning compressor, unless the outside temperature is at or below freezing. Recirculation cannot be selected while in the defrost mode. Do not drive the vehicle until all the windows are clear.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I am not in defrost mode and the recirc button actually blinks if you are in defrost mode and try to use it. I am in regular ac mode, not auto with the air coming out of the vents. Previously if you hit the recirc button you can hear it do something and the air came out stronger. As of yesterday no more. Please somebody go in their car and hit the recirc button and report back just so you think I am not crazy.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just so I am talking about the right re circulation door. This is it right under the cabin air filter, open and closed correct? With the ac on whether it be in auto mode or manual and any temperature setting the door is always closed, you could hit the recirc button on or off in these modes and it does nothing. Put the ac on 90* and the recirc button will open and close the door as you push it. Strange

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
Just so I am talking about the right re circulation door. This is it right under the cabin air filter, open and closed correct? With the ac on whether it be in auto mode or manual and any temperature setting the door is always closed, you could hit the recirc button on or off in these modes and it does nothing. Put the ac on 90* and the recirc button will open and close the door as you push it. Strange
View attachment 585386
View attachment 585387
=====================
THIS - as copied from page 3-5 of the 2001 Owners Manual -

RECIRCULATION: Press this button to limit the
amount of fresh air entering your vehicle. This is helpful
when you are trying to cool the air quickly or limit odors
entering your vehicle. In the AUTO mode, the system
will use recirculation as necessary to cool the air.
Pressing the recirculation button will change the
operation to a manual mode and the air will recirculate
non-stop. Press this button again to turn off the
recirculation feature.
If you notice the windows fogging, press the
recirculation button to exit the recirculation mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts