Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
The Federal Government as well as the Automotive Industry classifies a "Luxury Car" as one that has a MSRLP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail List Price) of $40,001.00, WITHOUT any options. In other words, THE base unit, free of any factory installed frills. So... THAT explained, in your opinion(s) should the following vehicles be listed and classed as luxury cars"

BMW 3 Series
Chrysler 300
Mercedes Benz C-Class
Buick Lucerne CSX
Jaguar X-Type
Lincoln LS
Volvo V40 - V60
Cadillac CTS
Infiniti G35
Acura TL / TSX / CL
Lexus ES
Audi A4
Dodge Charger
Saab Aero 9.5

Each of these starts UNDER $40,001.00 BUT with typical options, can go over $40,001.00.
Can there ever be a distinct cut-off point ?

What do you all say ??

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Hmmmm, very interesting article Sandy.

I think it depends on the manufacturer.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not up to the manufacturer. Mfgrs. do not get to catagorize the sect that a product gets classified into.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
You can get a Grand Marquis out the door for more than $40,000?! :bonkers:

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Tell me why we should be concerned - is this something that is going to impact on auto taxes, will my neighbors look down on me if I drive a car that is not on 'the list', will my car feel badly if it fails to make the listing?

People get paid big bucks to make these weighty decisions... Sleep well - your government does...;)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are correct & I made an error. The highest one can take a Grand Marquis LS Palm Beach Edition with all the options is $ 33,700.00.

I added a $1,000 option and I entered $ 10,000 instead (Old habits from selling cars die hard) :bouncy: Anyhow, that's for waking me up. I went to EDIT it and remove "Mercury Grand Marquis" but there is no EDIT! (I guess "EDIT" is optional at extra cost :) Maybe someone with power will back out that Mercury Grand Marquis. Thanks!

edited by Administrator: The "edit" option is not available for an extra cost. Editing is time limited for everyone.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
That list is a good representation of entry-level luxury or near-luxury cars. Makes sense to me. Some of us older folks remember when the govt. definition of a luxury car was $30K.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
The Federal Government as well as the Automotive Industry classifies a "Luxury Car" as one that has a MSRLP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail List Price) of $40,001.00, WITHOUT any options. In other words, THE base unit, free of any factory installed frills. So... THAT explained, in your opinion(s) should the following vehicles be listed and classed as luxury cars"

BMW 3 Series
Chrysler 300
Mercedes Benz C-Class
Buick Lucerne CSX
Jaguar X-Type
Lincoln LS
Volvo V40 - V60
Cadillac CTS
Infiniti G35
Acura TL / TSX / CL
Lexus ES
Audi A4
Dodge Charger
Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Saab Aero 9.5

Each of these starts UNDER $40,001.00 BUT with typical options, can go over $40,001.00.
Can there ever be a distinct cut-off point ?

What do you all say ??
The CIVIC based Acura TSX, Buick Lucerne, Mercury Grand Marquis (you already mentioned it), Chrysler 300 (Only if it did not have entry level "fleet" models could it begin to consider itself a luxury car), and ESPECIALLY the Dodge Charger do not belong in a list grouped as "Luxury" cars. But remember we're just going based on price there, and I think the public's view of what is and isn't a luxury car isn't skewed by price alone. I dont know of anyone that would classify a Charger as a luxury vehicle. The Volvo V40 and the Saab Aero are teetering on the edge of the line, but I'll let that slide.

I don't know where the cutoff point is for "luxury" SUV's (or if that even exists), but there's also a ton of garden variety of SUV's you can get to go over 40k with not alot of options.

I guess the bigger question here is, if you want the government to scrap the idea of using price to calculate the segment of a given vehicle, what *WOULD* be the defining factor you would prefer?

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
That list is a good representation of entry-level luxury or near-luxury cars. Makes sense to me. Some of us older folks remember when the govt. definition of a luxury car was $30K.
Eh, whatever - I just feel that categorization is irrelevant since it doesn't really appear to serve a useful purpose. If it's to track how many folks have the wherewithal to purchase expensive vehicles & what percentage are forced to make do with used Corollas, et al, I think they already have sufficient tools at their disposal...

And yes...I'm one of those older folks too...:)

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
I wonder how you came by listing all of these cars. You said base models and I'm having trouble differentiating your list between base models and premium models, which would have said optional packages installed.

With exception of the convertible and the 335i all BMW 3-Series have an MSRP of well under $40K.

The Chrysler 300 starts at $24K with the "C" at $37K, only the SRT-8 has an MSRP of over $40K.

The Dodge Charger doesn't even make over $40K with the SRT-8 model listing for $36K

The CTS also doesn't crack the cutoff with a top MSRP of $36K, unless we're talking the CTS-V, which does.

Instead of going through every single one... there isn't a single car on that list that starts over $40K. There are quite a few of them where the range doesn't even top out over $40K.

Several of them would, regardless of pricetag are only considered "premium" cars - the Buick, Saab, Volvo, Chrysler.

The rest are only considered "near-lux" or "entry-lux."

If they use that figure as an arbitrary cut-off point then it is only for statistical reasons. If we were to use that cut-off for the list you provided then only about three of the cars on that list could possibly qualify - but only in their top-of-the-line trim.

So in reality, if we're talking "base" models then none of those cars could be considered "luxury" by that standard.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There has been some talk, in some states, about adding a Luxury Sales Tax on Luxury Cars, but I am having my own issues of which cars to include.

Regarding a Dodge Charger. If you take a SRT-8 and add all the toys, to it, the MSRLP is going to go past the Saab 9.5 Aero, and all Acuras, excepting the RL. It's also going to be more than an Infiniti G35x and others. A Buick Lucerne CXS is up there with an Audi A6, so......

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
AM GOFF, what I am saying is that each of those cars, w/out options is way south of the $40,001 - HOWEVER with all ooptions added, they are AT or over $40,001. So, allthough a base model Charger is (not sure - guessing, say $32,000, the SRT-8 with goodies added is over $40,000. So, will they use the bottom model, sans options, or the tip top WITH all options?
By using the top model and adding the toys, they are all over thr forty.
The Grand Marquis LS Palm Beachwas an addition error.

BTW, Than You Boombotz.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
AM GOFF, what I am saying is that each of those cars, w/out options is way south of the $40,001 - HOWEVER with all ooptions added, they are AT or over $40,001. So, allthough a base model Charger is (not sure - guessing, say $32,000, the SRT-8 with goodies added is over $40,000. So, will they use the bottom model, sans options, or the tip top WITH all options?
By using the top model and adding the toys, they are all over thr forty.
The Grand Marquis LS Palm Beachwas an addition error.

BTW, Than You Boombotz.
Yea that's the way I understood it as well Sandy, that they are using the maximum MSRP *possible* on any particular model to classify the entire model as a "luxury" model. That is why I disagreed with the Charger and the TSX. Just because you can get a Charger SRT to go over 40 doesnt mean the entire series should be classified as a luxury car.

In other words I wasn't disagreeing with you.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Well I certainly didn't look at all of the options for the cars, but I believe you said the criteria was for the MSRP without any options, am I correct?

If that's so then a majority of those cars don't even top out about $40K... that is for a top of the line, highest trim model without additional options.

The few I listed are mostly the one's that do.

Now, if we're talking purely subjective opinions here, then personally none of those cars classify as "luxury" cars. My opinions break down as follows (in no particular order):

Large Car - Dodge Charger

Premium/Near-Lux Cars - Chrysler 300, Buick Lucerne CSX, Volvo V40 - V60, Acura TL / TSX / CL, Saab Aero 9.5

Entry-Lux - BMW 3 Series, Mercedes Benz C-Class, Jaguar X-Type, Lincoln LS, Cadillac CTS, Lexus ES, Audi A4

Then there's the Infiniti G35, I'm torn... I'm sure a lot of people would consider it with the "entry-lux" offerings but I personally think it falls in the same camp as the Acura - which I consider only premium cars. So I'll just leave it here by itself.

But I'll be the first to point out that this area of the market is filled with just as many opinions as there are *******s and it's rare for even two people to agree completely. Prime example - there are many who feel that Acura makes "luxury" cars... I don't for many reasons. I feel their entire line is filled with mostly "premium" cars with a few "entry-lux" on the high-end, but I don't think there's a single car they make that would classify as luxury. But there are quite a few out there that would argue with me 'til kingdom come over that.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Well I certainly didn't look at all of the options for the cars, but I believe you said the criteria was for the MSRP without any options, am I correct?

If that's so then a majority of those cars don't even top out about $40K... that is for a top of the line, highest trim model without additional options.

The few I listed are mostly the one's that do.

Now, if we're talking purely subjective opinions here, then personally none of those cars classify as "luxury" cars. My opinions break down as follows (in no particular order):

Large Car - Dodge Charger

Premium/Near-Lux Cars - Chrysler 300, Buick Lucerne CSX, Volvo V40 - V60, Acura TL / TSX / CL, Saab Aero 9.5

Entry-Lux - BMW 3 Series, Mercedes Benz C-Class, Jaguar X-Type, Lincoln LS, Cadillac CTS, Lexus ES, Audi A4

Then there's the Infiniti G35, I'm torn... I'm sure a lot of people would consider it with the "entry-lux" offerings but I personally think it falls in the same camp as the Acura - which I consider only premium cars. So I'll just leave it here by itself.

But I'll be the first to point out that this area of the market is filled with just as many opinions as there are *******s and it's rare for even two people to agree completely. Prime example - there are many who feel that Acura makes "luxury" cars... I don't for many reasons. I feel their entire line is filled with mostly "premium" cars with a few "entry-lux" on the high-end, but I don't think there's a single car they make that would classify as luxury. But there are quite a few out there that would argue with me 'til kingdom come over that.
That list looks right to me.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
I think the question is misleading.
"The Federal Government as well as the Automotive Industry classifies a "Luxury Car" as one that has a MSRLP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail List Price) of $40,001.00, WITHOUT any options. In other words, THE base unit, free of any factory installed frills. So... THAT explained, in your opinion(s) should the following vehicles be listed and classed as luxury cars"

That answers the question in itself. No, none of them, at "THE base unit, free of any factory installed frills" would be luxury. Therefore no, none of them are by that criteria.

Not sure what your getting at... ... ...?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tend to agree. I copied it from a newspaper, where I myslef was a little :cookoo: as well, but, I did see where they were and why it's so confusing. Above, you have the Charger & the 300 in 2 different class's and they are identical cars. The base model of each is waaay south of $33,000 even. They MUST be in the same class. That would be like the Dodge Omni in one class and the Plymouth Horizon in another ! Again > :cookoo:

BTW, the ONLY car catagorized as LUXURY in the Acura line-up is the R/L !

D

·
0 Posts
That answers the question in itself. No, none of them, at "THE base unit, free of any factory installed frills" would be luxury. Therefore no, none of them are by that criteria.

Not sure what your getting at... ... ...?
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking, none would be classified as luxury even loaded to hilt and costing way over $40,100. So where are we heading with this thread?:tsucks:

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
People get paid big bucks to make these weighty decisions... Sleep well - your government does...;)
and if you live in AMERICA, you should sleep well too.

Interesting Sandy.
I have always thought of those as luxury cars.
I never really used price as a determination.
I figure ride quality, leather quatlity and reliabilty were a good determination.
All the other shit just takes away from driving properly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts