Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 94 deville 4.9. I have learned much by checking other threads on this subject, but still have some questions. My key fob stopped working recently, so I changed the battery, which did not solve the problem. My questions are : could the key have become unprogrammed ? On my trunk pull down mechanism, there are 2 red wires and 1 black wire going into a plug into the mechanism. There is no bare wire to connect to ground. Am I supposed to strip a little off in the middle and ground the wire from there or am I looking in the wrong place ? Also how do I check if the receiver or something else is at fault ? If it is the receiver where is it and how do I get at it ? If the doors do not autimatically lock and unlock,after grounding does that indicate a receiver problem ? I would appreciate any help.
thanx

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
All I can help with is when I did my 92 eldo. there was a bare wire (for grounding) all by itself on the trunk edge,right in with the pull down motor, (rather than the trunk lid) I dont think you should strip any wires, red probably indicates a live wire, it probably would be safe to try the black wire,do any relays click in the trunk?, do you know where the relay boxes are located?, in my 92 eldo. they were behind the panel in the trunk (behind the seat in the trunk).

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Creeker, to both your replies regarding head gasket and keyless entry. I have seen on other threads the procedure for reprogramming. But the way they describe it. It involves nothing more than a wire and 2 alligator clips. I will look and see if there is another black wire inside the mechanism.
Regarding the head gasket I am starting to think that there is nothing signifigantly wrong. It all started with the replacement of the starter motor twice.After which the mechanic pressure tested the system. { which was the last thing I wanted done on an older car} He said he found 3 leaks one in the front head gasket one in the rear and one in the heater core. He is an experienced mechanic but not on cadillacs. I have marked the cold level in the plastic tank, and havn't lost a drop that I can see. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and take it to a caddy dealership for diagnosis. The car always starts just every once in a while it clicks a few times first. Anyways thankx again.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Are you aware of the "sealant tabs" that are put into coolant system after doing anti freeze drain, they prevent minor coolant leaks.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I googled "program 1994 cadillac deville remote keyless entry" and instructions for 1994 deville came up.

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mechanic said he put in the GM tabs. He didn't say how many. But like I said I don't appear to be losing coolant. So I am not sure I buy his story of the head gasket weeping on the solenoid. I am going to take it to my dealer. They perform a test for $75 that they say checks the ignition to the battery. They told me the initials for the test, i just can't remember what they are.
I followed your google instructions but still couldn't find out how to identify the black wire. I think I will post a photo and see if someone can tell me which one it is.

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here are the photos of the lower and upper trunk lids. {if i have done it right] can identify the correct black wire to ground keyless programming ?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts