Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you prefer? And why? Which has more horsepower? Which has more torque? Which has the better powerband? Discuss... In case you didn't know, the LT1 was used on the Fleetwood from 94-96...

S

·
0 Posts
I'd take a NorthStar. It can just as much hit 1000hp or be tuned for more reasonable applications. I don't know about torque, but the Caddy hot rodders are quite happy with the engine. And, IIRC, isn't the NorthStar a real Caddy engine. Wasn't it developed in-house rather than being brought over from Chevy?

Attachments

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally don't care where the engine came from. But yes, the Northstar is made for Cadillac only where the LT1 is a Chevy engine.. I think the LT1 probably has about the same potential as the Northstar but I'll bet it's a lot less expensive to maintain.. I've heard the Northstar could cost $8000.00 to replace...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know in terms of electronics, there's a SHITLOAD more out there for the LT1 than the NorthStar, as well as internal capability. The OBDII package I'm getting for my car-puter can let you PROGRAM the chip in the LT1 with your own shift patterns, timing, etc. Simply can't do that with the N*.

In terms of motor, I'd take a N* over the LT1 any day. scourge has it right... there are rodders out there that do some amazing things to the engine. Plus, I'm into the design aspect as well, and the N* is just more interesting to me... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
It all depends on what you want.....

Personally, I would take either, but IMO the major differences are

1. The LT1 has more of a performance aftermarket, but the northstar is quite a bit more powerful from the get-go.....
2. The Northstar is FWD, and the LT1 is RWD.... Although the northstar could be RWD easy enough
3. The LT1 is quite a bit more reliable, it is a much simpler design, and not so technologically advanced......

As far as horsepower, I cant remember the LT1 right off hand, something like 260 something........

But take in mind, the LT1 has its torque much lower in the powerband..... in a more useful area....

You can do some pretty mean burnouts in a FW with LT1..... It looks pretty weird for a 18ft vehicle driving sideways down the road!!!!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The LT1 that's used in the Fleetwood is a downgraded version of the LT1. So let's just compare the Northstar to the LT1 without the downgrade. 300 horsepower..

So which engine is more powerful?

I'm not too sure about the low-end torque on the LT1. The LT1 (92-96 Corvette) and the L98 (85-91 Corvette) had the same 0-60 numbers. BUT - the 1/4 mile was better for the LT1 powered Vettes.

L98 Vettes were faster off the line and won most stop-light races. In fact, the L98 is quicker off the line than the current LS1 powered Vettes.. So I don't know how powerful the LT1 is down low. But I know it's powerful up high...

Now the Northstar is very powerful up high as well...

·
Registered
5 Posts
For modding LT1 no doubt. It has more potential, and will cost much less to mod than the northstar. Stock they have about the same power, Lt1 vette is 300hp 335 torque, northstar is 300hp 295 torque. Also the lt1 has a lower powerband, peak torque is around 3000 rpms. There are lt1's pushing over 1000 hp, and stock bottom end ones with over 500. I'm not sure the northstar could take that. Not to mention the lt1 is much easier to work on, pushrod vs. dohc. The northstar is much smoother and better for a luxury car no doubt but the pure power of the lt1 cant be beat.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Ill take a good ol RWD pushrod any day!!

I just got back from the lakes, and all the marine engines are chevy, ford, and chrysler small blocks...... It is really cool hearing that roar at 4000 RPMs with straight exhaust........

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I'd agree with McMoo for the most part. The LT1 is a more reliable, more workable engine. From the factory, the LT1 was more powerful than the Northstar in all applications except the B & D body cars. And in those applications, the powerband is much broader which means more useable power across the rev range.
BTW, The Northstar was originally an Oldsmobile engine design. Olds ran out of developement money and Cadillac, (needing an engine of their own at the time) picked up the design ball and kept throwing money at it until they got it to work. It's a fairly good design but has been hampered by typical GM bean-counter cost-cutting efforts, which has produced a very similar situation to the HT4100.
Yes, the Northstar is more complicated in design and build than the LT1. Yes, it has the ability to be one of the greatest engines in the world. But unfortunately, the Northstar has been saddled with limited applications (only FWD luxo-boats for the first several years of it's production) and a rather short-sighted marketing effort (after nearly a DECADE, the engine is still unable to handle a serious performance car role).

·
Registered
989 Posts
elwesso said:
Ill take a good ol RWD pushrod any day!!

I just got back from the lakes, and all the marine engines are chevy, ford, and chrysler small blocks...... It is really cool hearing that roar at 4000 RPMs with straight exhaust........
Yep, my dad has a small block chevy 350 in his Malibu. His friends call it it the cadillac of boats because it rides so smooth across the water.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
What I dont understand is why they run those engines so hot..... i mean, my engine is supposed to run at 176*F, and the northstar runs about 200-220........ What gives??

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
My grandpa owns a 68 chris craft commander 23 with the origional engine..... 327 chevy, boy that thing can ROAR!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Alas, I have been enlightened :worship:

Then how do other companies run their cars cooler and still pass emissions??

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Good explanation - and good question...

One more question.. How much more smooth is the Northstar than the LT1? Is it really a noticable difference when driving?
Engine temps on most if not all modern engines is usually around the 200-220 degrees F regardless of what the gauge says.

The engine "smoothness" as you describe it is very good on both engines. The vibrations felt in the passenger compartment are more a result of engine mounts and body/chassis tuning and not so much the engine. Both cars provide extremely good drivetrain isolation.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
What makes the corvette powered LT1 more powerful than the FW LT1???

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I've always thought north* engine had a quite bit of big aftermarket turbos and superchargers allowing it to produce over 700hp.
Anyways, unless it was a ls1/ls6 I will still take the north* over lt1.
because
1. Most north* powered cadillacs are fwd and if it had much low end torque as lt1 then it might not get good traction
2. I actually love the way north* engine revs. Very fast and nicely providing the driver with silky smooth sound and feel
3. I prolly won't do much with either engine because most cadillacs do not have enough room under the hood to install any forced induction system.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts