Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1993 El Dorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that rather than doing a second head gasket repair in 7,000 miles on our 1993 Eldorado Northstar (with only 47,000 miles on the engine), we may try to get a remanufactured engine and try to find someone to install it. The reason is that if the first head gasket repair job did not last, there is no guarantee that the second repair will last. (Each repair costs $3600.)
Please let me know the name, address, and phone number of a good company that sells a remanufactured Northstar engine that would work with the 1993 Eldorado.
Thanks.
Norman Weatherby
Norman93Eldorado

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Norman, I would humbly suggest that you look to a different repair shop for your next repair. $3600 is really expensive for a proper head gasket repair, and a proper head gasket repair would not fail 7,000 miles later. It sounds like they did not properly Timesert the head bolt holes and the threads failed shortly after the repair (not uncommon).

Who did your now-failed head gasket repair, and did they Timesert the holes?

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I totally agree. A properly timeserted HG repair should run about $2600 and shouldn't fail for a very long time. For $3600 they should have done both HG's properly and rebuilt your transmission while it was out.

I think you got charged form work that either wasn't done or was done improperly.

I don't remember the names but I think there are only about 2 places that reman the N*. This has been discussed more than a million time.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
I don't remember the names but I think there are only about 2 places that reman the N*.
If one is Custom Innovations, :tisk: do a search before you buy from them.

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
I agree with the first 2 posters, I had mine done at 95k and i'm at 120k now, my price was about $2800 not including all new hardware I requested...

Jasper engines might still do em, they're in North GA and have installers all over the country but alot of em in GA and TN, there's a fella on Ebay that does em (not custom innovations) for about $2900 shipped to your door. There are some rebuilders out west as well, gotta do some google searches...

·
Registered
1993 El Dorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The $3,600 Northstar head gasket repair was done by the Cadillac dealer in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
They said that they used timeserts but the bill did not include the cost of the timeserts.
-- Norman

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
My guess is either they didn't do them or they did them wrong. The cost of the serts is minimal, but the labor to do them isn't and that would certainly have been billed I would think, unless they did not break it down.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
I think that rather than doing a second head gasket repair in 7,000 miles on our 1993 Eldorado Northstar (with only 47,000 miles on the engine), we may try to get a remanufactured engine and try to find someone to install it. The reason is that if the first head gasket repair job did not last, there is no guarantee that the second repair will last. (Each repair costs $3600.)
Please let me know the name, address, and phone number of a good company that sells a remanufactured Northstar engine that would work with the 1993 Eldorado.
Thanks.
Norman Weatherby
Norman93Eldorado
GM sells a short block:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
My guess is either they didn't do them or they did them wrong. The cost of the serts is minimal, but the labor to do them isn't and that would certainly have been billed I would think, unless they did not break it down.
Or they only did the holes that didn't torque.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
A new short block assembly, part number 89018105, has been released to service 1995-99 Northstar LD8 and L37 applications.

gmpartsdirect
GM PART # 89018105
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $5,208.66
OUR PRICE: $3,118.96

I do not remember any problems using this in a 93

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
Jasper is one....

I have heard good things about the Jasper rebuilt Northstar... for what it's worth.

·
Registered
Cadillac seville sts/ srx
27 Posts
www.ae-engines.com

i just put a new one in my 99. they will even pick up your car and bring it back to you for like 4500! i talked with a guy named lanny said that they use a method to remanufacture it so the headgasket is less likley to go. they do real good work my car has never run better.

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
If one is Custom Innovations, :tisk: do a search before you buy from them.
Custom Innovations is now out of business- if you search google under custom innovations you'll see the site has changed from him boasting about himself to telling everyone to pound sand. He now blames "bad parts" not him over tightening the head bolts. Im glad my small claims suit was filed weeks ago and I have a trail date next week. :thumbsup: (before the bankruptcy goes through)

·
Registered
02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup
2,172 Posts
Custom Innovations is now out of business- if you search google under custom innovations you'll see the site has changed from him boasting about himself to telling everyone to pound sand. He now blames "bad parts" not him over tightening the head bolts. Im glad my small claims suit was filed weeks ago and I have a trail date next week. :thumbsup: (before the bankruptcy goes through)

http://www.northstarguru.com/1783175.html

????

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
1.jpg
2.jpg

I have a source for cams.
GM cams are about $440 That maybe my cost?

Pistons--------------292.33
Ring set ------------ 91.17
Rod Brg set----- ----147.93
Head bolt set---------64.16
Head Gsk set--------230.23
Timing cover GSK-----21.00
Rear Main seal--------25.00
Rod bolts--------------4.50
Lifters--$25 X 32 = 800.00
Oil Manifold----------100.00
Fly wheel bolts---------4.80
Sealer----------------30.00
Cam Seal-------------11.00
Oil Filter Adp Seals-----6.00
Water Pump Cover----33.00
Water Pump Cover GSK-5.00
Cross Over Gaskets----14.00
Cross Over Gaskets----15.00
Plastic Plugs-----------22.00
cams 200 X 4 --------800.00
Total ---------------2685.04
Add Misc ------------100.00
Labor on the high side 1500.
-------------------- 4310 Hmmmmmmmmmm
Done the correct way minus Main Brg and Cranks

Timserts 20 X $5 = 100 more
All said and done with oil, filter, coolant, plugs, ECT $4500?

·
Registered
02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup
2,172 Posts
If the question marks are because you didnt see it- you have to click on his home page once the site opens..........nice black wheels, where did you get them.
Yeah, I didn't see the home page. I just googled for re-manufactured N* and got the page i linked to. You would think they would take it down... oh well.

The wheels are 20inch Zenetti Heir's, I got them from Hi-Line Motoring in Tampa but I DO NOT recommend them at all.

Thanks for the props though! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.