Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 sls 1999 sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was wondering if anyone has gotten head studs from Northstar Performance in Canada?
I ordered some almost 3 weeks ago and have not seen them yet. I have never ordered anything from Canada before so I do not know if it takes a while to get through customs.
I am itching to get this motor back together so I can drive this car, it just
sucks to have parts all over waiting for these studs and the jig.:suspense:

S

·
0 Posts
I dont know whats the story over there i tried calling awhile ago and nobody ever picks up as i saw on there website they where opening a shop in upstate NY and was wondering if there still opening or whats going on

·
Registered
2002 sls 1999 sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was to the Carroll Cadillac web site and it looks like they just offer studs and do not have a jig.
It seems like things could go wrong if you do not use a jig that's what I liked about the kit
from Northstar Performance.
Has anyone used the studs from Carroll Cadillac and had good luck free handing it?
If you drill and tap the holes without a jig and mess just one hole up I don't know how you would
end up fixing it.

·
Registered
2002 sls 1999 sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that it would be a good idea to post a follow up in case anyone else has the same concerns.

I finally got the head stud kit after 3 and a half weeks. The kit was shipped out USPS and on the package it had a ship
out date 2 days after I ordered the kit. If I ever get another kit I would see if it can be shipped out with UPS or Fedex
hopefully they would ship faster or at the minimum get a tracking number so the package can be followed.

When I did open the kit it had the new X style jig instead of the beefy looking square plate. Honestly I was disappointed
because the new style X jig looks kind of cheap compared to the old style square jig.
When I did use the jig it seemed to line up fine and it worked very well all of the kit seemed like it was very well made
and it was very easy to use. Once I had all the holes drilled and tapped I installed the studs and they were all in line
in fact I put a level across the studs and they were lined up within 20 thousands I do not think there is anyway I could of
free handed the drilling and tapping and got them anywhere close to this.

When I installed the heads over the studs I had my BIL watch to make sure the head was going down straight and I
pushed one side down at a time shuffling the head down the studs and I had each head installed in less than 30 seconds.
If I ever have to do another set of Northstar heads I will use this system but I will order the studs long in advance of
tearing the motor down.

I have been driving the car for a couple of weeks and everything seems to work great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts