Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it's acually my car producing the burning odor, but I've noticed the last few times I've been in traffic the distinct odor of engine oil burning. It has only happened after idling in traffic for 30 seconds or so, and usually doesn't return.

Part of me wants to think it's some jalopy infront of me. The rational part of me worries that it's my car! I've poked around under the hood, and can't find anything leaking down to the manifolds. There's no oil on my floor, and no signs of any leaks. Just seems like maybe a couple drops hit the manifold periodically.

Anybody with a similar experience? Do the rocker cover seals have any tendancy to leak? I've got about 85,000 mi on the car now, if that helps!

-Scott

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
The cam covers can seep after some time. I haven't encountered any that actually seep enough to smoke off the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My other thought is that something is leaking lower down, and trailing down the lower-end of the manifold out towards the cat.

...but I'd imagine that'd be a more serious leak, and I'd definately see that on the floor!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Look at the exhaust crossover pipe that runs between the engine and trans and see if there are signs of oil leaking on to that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, there's been progress. Now I've got a good-sized puddle of oil on the floor. Perfectly centered between the wheels, looks almost like it's coming off the oil drain area (drain & filter are tight, not leaking), and blowing back.

The car had the case-half resealed at 35k, and hasn't leaked a drop since. I had an oilchange about two weeks ago, so something must have gone fubar to go from no leak to "puddle."

Well, i'll be under the car for a while... my resolution for 2006 is to drive more. Throw me any insight you got on this leak!

Happy & Healthy New Year to you & your family!

-Scott

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Is the oil pressure switch tight and secure? How does the trailing exhaust look? Is oil hitting the pipe going towards the back? If oil were leaking from the switch, it wouldn't be hitting any exhaust up above it. But...worth a check.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't check out the switch yet - thanks for the advice! About a year ago the local caddy dealer did an oilchange, after which I had a MAJOR leak, and lost about 3 quarts of oil between the dealer and my house. Came out the next morning, and had a puddle the size of a large pizza on the ground. Drove back, and they replaced what they called a "handful of seals around the oil filter housing area." Now I wish I asked what they were...

I guess the good news is that my extended warranty covers seals & gaskets, so if it's something scary, it'll be fixed. My goal is to get alteast 150k out of this car... I love it too much to trade it for anything else.

And the sad part is that every time I start looking for a new car, I can't find ANYTHING that compares to this one. The only car I liked as an "eldorado replacement" was the large mercedes coupe - the CL55. But the pricetag on that is insane... that's just throwing money into the wind.

Ok, on my way out the door to fix this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
More than likely who ever changed your oil didn't notice that the oil filter seal didn't stay stuck to your old filter. Then they put the new filter on, doubling up the seals, causing your leak.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
On my 1996 STS, I had a small leak develop where the oil cooler lines attach to the radiator...dealer replaced the o-rings.

Charles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts